NVIDIA Announces MONAI Open-Source AI Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
    Would that reduce their profits? Absolutely.
    why it doesn't reduce profits for anyone but absolutely would reduce profits for nvidia?

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      The reality is that years ago Nvidia made a very significant gamble, they started making a huge investment into developing GPU Compute technology.
      actually amd always had better gpu compute technology. thing which novideo started making a huge investment into developing is called "vendor lock-in"
      I find it ironic though that everyone wines about Nvidia on Linux and demand that they open source... if Nvidia didnt have the best performance all this wining wouldn't happen I dont think :P
      thinking isn't your strongest side. novideo doesn't have the best performance because they don't have driver and that's what causes those demands. but not from everyone, just from people who made bad purchasing decision

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
        That is gimps fp64 or fp16 on "consumer" cards that have exactly the same chips in them than Teslas and Quadros that cost 5-10x more? That it disallows you from using your own hardware that you paid for, in the way you want?
        You didn't pay for pf64 or fp16 performance on consumer cards, wtf are you talking about. They sold you a gaming card, you paid for a gaming card.

The silicon might be technically able to do it, but that's a technical limitation of the manufacturing process. They didn't sell you that feature, you did not pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

By the same logic, you shouldn't be using a PC, because, no matter the license your software carries, there's still a blob in the microcode/firmware.

Plus, CUDA is not a hard requirement, but look how many likes your FUD earned you!
          It may not be a requirement, but essentially is for any useful work. People aren't willing to buy a high-end graphics card to just let it sit.

Comment

The reality is that years ago Nvidia made a very significant gamble, they started making a huge investment into developing GPU Compute technology. They were told they were crazy... who would want to use a GPU to compute things when you had CPUs... and the GPU could never run an OS so what good was it anyway for computing?

Now they own the GPU computer ecosystem. AMD is making several half hearted attempts to counter Nvidia's hold on the high ground, but AMD cant even come out with a coherent platform (ex. OpenCL, Rocm, etc.)!

Team green made a long bomb pass, and they caught it for the touch down now. While I would love for them to open source their driver, its to tightly integrated into what makes them huge sums of money now. They took the risk, they are going to take the reward, and by all rights of reason they should.

AMD really should make an actual investment in GPU compute rather than these half baked plugs to say they are, but they never work.

I would love Nvidia to open up... but I would also love Microsoft to do the same with Windows! Neither is going to happen for a long long time.

I find it ironic though that everyone wines about Nvidia on Linux and demand that they open source... if Nvidia didnt have the best performance all this wining wouldn't happen I dont think :P
            I'm not so sure the "Nvidia took a huge gamble, was told they're crazy, and pulled off what no one else could do by being outstanding" narrative fits. They basically had no competition from the time they established CUDA. AMD had just overpaid for ATI in 2006 and was billions in debt when the great recession hit, in the middle of the recession lost its CEO, immediately after the recession lost its CEO again and this time had a seven month interval with an acting CEO before a new one was found. Then there were the constant missteps AMD took in the early 2010's.

CUDA was launched in 2007 which coincides with around the time AMD started to have problems that took them until about 2016 to really recover from and Nvidia had all that time of being in a position where they could comfortably make the investment into CUDA while AMD was just trying to keep its head above water.

Undoubtedly Nvidia made the really smart decision of investing in CUDA but it's not really like they had to work that hard to effectively entrench themselves as the industry standard.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              You didn't pay for pf64 or fp16 performance on consumer cards, wtf are you talking about. They sold you a gaming card, you paid for a gaming card.

The silicon might be technically able to do it, but that's a technical limitation of the manufacturing process. They didn't sell you that feature, you did not pay for it.
              I guess most of us will have to chuck out our computers now, as we didn't pay for the feature of being able to run GNU/Linux or BSD. That's a server or workstation feature, and we paid for consumer computers.

Comment

"Captain, starshipeleven is testing positive for exposure to the laced green Kool-Aid".

Symptoms:
                a) Failure to address key parts of argument, viz 3x pricing increases as evidence of monopoly.
                b) Doesn't respond to ethical questions on segmented pricing multiples.
                c) Denies the basic propert ownership concept that tangible products belong to the entity who purchased them.
                d) Aggressive language to defend indefinsible position.

But wait, hang on... I think I might have spotted the Nvidia employee.
                Last edited by vegabook; 22 April 2020, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

But wait, hang on... I think I might have spotted the Nvidia employee.
                  Interrogation question to proof it: "Do you think leather jackets are fashionable for a press conference?"

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    People do not whine about NVIDIA. Most non-Nvidia users don't give a single flying fsck about nvidia.
                    And yet, when there's an Nvidia article, the whiners and haters crawl out of the woodwork. If you/they really didn't care, then you would stop commenting on Nvidia stuff...
                    Claiming you don't care about Nvidia is like 144Hz claiming he doesn't care about KDE/Qt.
                    Last edited by DanL; 22 April 2020, 04:30 AM.

Comment

You didn't write that in a Linux forum.... Seriously, you didn't.

Oh, you did...

People like you are disgusting human beings and are the reason the world is shit right now. Unless you are an Nvidia employee, paid to push Nvidia propaganda, AKA a shill, you are actually pushing for corporate profits because reasons.... Let me guess, you are one of the idiots who defend ONDISK DLC costing extra because "you only paid for the base game"?

If it is on the silicon, it is on the silicon. Why should corporate users pay extra for the same silicon? I mean, literally, the same silicon? When you go to a grocery store, do you pay more because you are white, and blacks pay less because they are black? No, because that would be discrimination. Why should corporations then pay multiple times more for the same silicon, just because they are doing calculations on that silicon other than video games?

The only reason professional cards are justified for higher prices, is IF they are binned silicon, tested and guaranteed for the working requirements of professional users, AND it also grants access to professional support from the Nvidia driver team. That is LITERALLY the only thing justifying the extra cost.

You aren't getting these things on consumer cards, but why disable the features though? If the silicon does it, they should enable it. It is the right thing to do, the pro consumer thing to do. If professionals want to save money and get consumer grade silicon and no nvidia support, then let them, it is their choice. Most professionals will still pay for the professional grade silicon because their jobs depend on it. But Nvidia is such a greedy company that the mere thought of losing even a portion of their profits is driving them insane.

And you support them. You pretend you are a consumer, yet you support them. You are literally supporting not having features on your hardware unless you pay thousands of dollars... You are either a shill or an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                      X