Delay when starting gdm or resuming from sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay when starting gdm or resuming from sleep

I'm using Arch Linux with kernel 5.5.2, NVidia driver 440.59 and Gnome 3.34, but I've had this problem for about two months, since I bought a 1660ti. The problem is that when booting gdm there's a long delay with a black screen and a non-blinking underline cursor in the top-left corner. I've never timed it, but I think the delay varies. It always seems to be at least 10 secs, and anything up to a minute? If I disable the gdm service and run it manually instead, sometimes it starts up normally, but that doesn't always seem to be the case. Anyway, the problem repeats every time the desktop resumes after suspend. There's no indication in the logs, nothing appears in them between the times the PC goes to sleep and the desktop reappears (ie the whole system seems to think the resume process didn't start until after the black screen lifted).

This happens whether I use Wayland or xorg. I've also tried lightdm, which fixes the problem at boot, but not at resume from suspend. If I don't use either and use startx instead, everything's fine, including resume. It's also completely cured if I replace the NVidia card with a Radeon, which I'd be happy to switch to, except that my favourite game suffers from other issues unless I run it on native Windows with an NVidia card.

I used an NVidia 1060 for most of last year, without this problem, but I can't test it now because it's died. I also switched from Debian to Arch in the meantime, but I'm inclined to blame NVidia rather than the distro, because I use Arch without issues on a couple of other PCs (with Intel graphics).

Any ideas?
Working...
X