NVIDIA 440.59 Linux Driver Brings DP MST Audio, PRIME Sync For Linux 5.4+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 440.59 Linux Driver Brings DP MST Audio, PRIME Sync For Linux 5.4+

Phoronix: NVIDIA 440.59 Linux Driver Brings DP MST Audio, PRIME Sync For Linux 5.4+

NVIDIA has kicked off February by releasing the 440.59 Linux driver as their newest stable driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PRIME Synchronization is advertised as new though we've seen it in early 440 series releases, and more.
    Prime Sync was broken specifically on kernel 5.4; it worked fine on previous kernels.

Comment

What is PRIME Sync?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        What is PRIME Sync?
        I was going to start trying to explain it, but this would explain it better than I ever could:
        Good news! The latest 370.23 beta driver release (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/105855/en-us) contains initial, experimental support for PRIME Synchronization! For reasons explained below the functionality can’t be officially supported yet, but if you’re brave enough, all the pieces are there to try it out. I noticed that there is some confusion about what exactly PRIME is and how it works. In addition to explaining how to set up PRIME Synchronization, I’m taking this opport...

Look forward to the fixed prime-sync. The tearing has been a minor annoyance, but I've managed to live with it for the timebeing.

Comment

So this release is basically bug fixes.

Being that it's NVIDIA, there is good reason to find time to read the release notes to see what cards will no longer be supported.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            What is PRIME Sync?
            The above-linked post on NV forums explains it nicely, but in-short, if you use the traditional NVIDIA Optimus method (render everything on the NV GPU and then output to the Intel-controlled built-in display), PRIME Sync allows for Vsync and a reduction in screen tearing. Without PRIME Sync on that set-up, there's no Vsync, and you'll likely have screen tearing and an overall feeling of things not animating/moving smoothly.

I don't believe it's applicable when using PRIME Render Offload though (the new Optimus method where you can use the NVIDIA GPU on-demand; basically like official Bumblebee); but that generally doesn't have screen tearing, and seems to respect Vsync.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
              Being that it's NVIDIA, there is good reason to find time to read the release notes to see what cards will no longer be supported.
              I know you're joking, but it has no basis in reality (i.e. it's not funny). Nvidia wouldn't announce that in a point release. They have a clear map of legacy timeframes, what is a short-lived branch, long-lived branch, etc.

Comment

I consistently get a kernel use-after-free from nvidia every boot on Linux 5.5 with this driver. Hopefully it gets fixed up with the next release. This release did fix a problem I was having with monitor scaling though.

Comment

breaks on latest clearlinux 32280 - compilations issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X