Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blender 2.81 Benchmarks On 19 NVIDIA Graphics Cards - RTX OptiX Rendering Performance Is Incredible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post

That's because NV doesn't have RT. Their solution does 2 and 4 samples per pixel and in order to see something you need at least 8. They just did it one or two generations early for marketing reasons.
    Samples per pixel? This seems like it would largely depend on the application vs rays/pixel. The higher end RTX are capable of 80+ rays/pixel 1080p@60.
    Where does "2 and 4 samples/pixel" and "at least 8 to see something" even comes from?

And there are games running with RT right now. So uh... I don't know how you're justifying that "they don't have RT".

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
      I am wondering just one simple thing: Wouldn't it have made more sense to write a Vulkan-based renderer using Vulkan's ray tracing extension? I mean, the performance of optix is nice and all but I find the strategy in which every vendor has to provide their own backend pretty redundant. Things like Radeon ProRender use open standards at least.
      That would make no sense, ray-tracing for animation is way more complicated than real-time one and Vulkan ray-tracing features are not designed to meet such needs.
      However using Vulkan compute instead of OpenCL for cycles GPU would be a great choice.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

That's because NV doesn't have RT. Their solution does 2 and 4 samples per pixel and in order to see something you need at least 8. They just did it one or two generations early for marketing reasons.
        I'm not sure what you mean. To have just shading without reflections and refraction you need just one ray/object intersection, with 2 you'll have at least basic reflections.
        Sub-sampling is necessary only for anti-aliasing. At least that is how it worked for mine simple raytracer.
        Last edited by blacknova; 26 November 2019, 03:28 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

it's been a while since i've had driver issues with my 5700XT - since 19.3 git and 5.3 RC, i can't complain ^^
          Given, that's not really launch day support, but i take this kind of support anyday over being forced to tinker around with a blob...
          It works quite stable with my 5.3.x kernel and oibaf-PPA (for most recent Mesa) on my Ubuntu 18.04. The same configuration crashes hard with kernel 5.4.

Now comes the funny part: Ubuntu 19.10, oibaf-PPA crashes with kernel 5.3 but works with kernel 5.4. Well "works". The frame rates in War Thunder (Vulkan driver) are halved when compared to 18.04/5.3. Shadow of the Tomb Raider gives me 22 FPS in HD on high quality on 19.10/5.4 and crashes on 18.04/5.3. Maybe I can fix it with some tinkering here and there. Maybe not. However, I am absolutely sure that when I buy an RTX 2060 Super today and fire up a recent NVidia blob it will "just work". (BTW: The rest of the hardware is a Ryzen 3700X on an X570 chipset with 32GiB RAM.)

As already stated elsewhere: I've never understood the constant claims of people having problems with their drivers and hardware on Linux. I considered this frequently as the usual Windows user FUD. Unfortunately I'll have to agree in the future: At least AMD GPUs can be a major PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

I'm not sure what you mean. To have just shading without reflections and refraction you need just one ray/object intersection, with 2 you'll have at least basic reflections.
            Sub-sampling is necessary only for anti-aliasing. At least that is how it worked for mine simple raytracer.
            ... And he's talking about *samples* per pixel, whatever that means. Turing RT cores can allegedly compute up to 10gigarays/sec.

Comment

this is nothing ...
              there are some series of patches in review that will give in blender 2.82 mind blown performance ...
              in some tests performed on more complex scenes, rendering times are reduced from 40 minutes to 8 minutes ..

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

It works quite stable with my 5.3.x kernel and oibaf-PPA (for most recent Mesa) on my Ubuntu 18.04. The same configuration crashes hard with kernel 5.4.
                Well that's sad to hear. I have always hear massive praise when it comes to AMD's open source drivers. However those same people see no problem that they have to extract packages from the closed source driver and combine them with the open source driver to make their GPU work.

Might as well have a closed source driver that just works instead?

I heard the new AMDGPU-Pro Driver (released in November) works well on Ubuntu 18.04. Maybe try this.

Also if it is possible could you benchmark the games you have, to see the performance difference between the 5700 and the 2060 super (if you do happen to buy the latter GPU).

Comment

Originally posted by OMTDesign View Post
                  Well that's sad to hear. I have always hear massive praise when it comes to AMD's open source drivers. However those same people see no problem that they have to extract packages from the closed source driver and combine them with the open source driver to make their GPU work.
                  What? Are you talking about OpenCL support? ROCm is FOSS, I don't think you need any proprietary bit anymore even for that.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

What? Are you talking about OpenCL support? ROCm is FOSS, I don't think you need any proprietary bit anymore even for that.
                    Well, ROCm doesn't support Navi ATM.

Since it just came up: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-2.10-Released

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Well, ROCm doesn't support Navi ATM.

Since it just came up: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-2.10-Released
                      Ah, right. I'm not using navi so I was a little confused there

Comment

Working...
                      X