Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CUDA 10.2 Released With VMM APIs, libcu++ As Parallel Standard C++ Library For GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUDA 10.2 Released With VMM APIs, libcu++ As Parallel Standard C++ Library For GPUs

Phoronix: CUDA 10.2 Released With VMM APIs, libcu++ As Parallel Standard C++ Library For GPUs

NVIDIA has released CUDA 10.2 for SuperComputing 19 week. CUDA 10.2 comes with some interesting changes, including to be the last release that will support Apple's macOS and the introduction of a standard C++ library for GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone do CUDA on macOS development?

Comment

I imagine the whole dropping CUDA for Mac OS-X is in part due to a very low number of Mac developers for CUDA which in turn has something to do with Apple abandoning Nvidia for AMD Radeon GPUs and Intel iGPUs.

Comment

Many people ran Nvidia cards on the original cheese grater mac pro. With Apple refusing to sign Nvidias drivers in recent OS releases means there is no point in supporting it. AMD is the only supported gpu on Mac period. And even then only the Metal api is supported.

Open standards are basically dead at Apple now. They were happy to use open standards on the early OS X days, but they've abandoned that for vendor lock in now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
          Many people ran Nvidia cards on the original cheese grater mac pro. With Apple refusing to sign Nvidias drivers in recent OS releases means there is no point in supporting it. AMD is the only supported gpu on Mac period. And even then only the Metal api is supported.

Open standards are basically dead at Apple now. They were happy to use open standards on the early OS X days, but they've abandoned that for vendor lock in now.
          Isn't it ironic that both vendors who prefer the vendor-lock in way to approach things, now lock each other out and part their ways.

Comment

macOs is dying, old news...

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post

Well, they still use Intel too. But I think you meant AMD is the only supported discrete GPU brand for Mac. At least until Xe comes along.
              Also, isn't Apple still using CUPS and fragments of FreeBSD? Otherwise yeah, for the most part they've killed off just about anything open source.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Isn't it ironic that both vendors who prefer the vendor-lock in way to approach things, now lock each other out and part their ways.
                Like Apple and Qualcomm?

Like Apple and Imagination?

Is there a pattern forming?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Well, they still use Intel too. But I think you meant AMD is the only supported discrete GPU brand for Mac. At least until Xe comes along.
                  Also, isn't Apple still using CUPS and fragments of FreeBSD? Otherwise yeah, for the most part they've killed off just about anything open source.
                  Apple still does plenty of open source! I do think they ended up frustrated with the OpenGL group and thus OpenCL and said the hell with them. Now dropping OpenGL May look foolish but I don’t see it as a big factor in most Mac software. If is safe to say that Metal is just one example of the industry turning away from OpenGL.

what is more interesting to me is what did NVidia do to so piss off Apple? Whatever it was it sure did help AMD during the dark years.

As for Xe, it will be interesting to see if Apple goes that route or develops its own GPU! Of course this assumes that Intel can even make a competitive GPU. If Apple goes ARM in Macs (not a given) I would expect Apple GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                    macOs is dying, old news...
                    Surprisingly it isn’t dying, if anything they grew sales even when actively ignoring the platform. From what I can see management didn’t give a rats ass about the Mac for atleast 5 years. Even now they can’t seem to come up with highly marketable hardware. In stead they build niche machines that lock out a good portion of the potential market.

the real attraction for the Mac is the operating system which for many trumps the half assed hardware. Mac OS is still the most trouble free OS out there. I run Mac OS, Fedora Linux and Windows at work, it really is no contest MAC OS beats the others when it comes to reliability. Even with the great my improved Windows 10, MS still comes in at last place.

frankly Mac OS with stood Apples effort to scuttle it. So no it isn’t dying.

Comment

Working...
                    X