Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Launches Jetson Xavier NX As 70x45mm 10~15 Watt "AI Supercomputer"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA Launches Jetson Xavier NX As 70x45mm 10~15 Watt "AI Supercomputer"

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Launches Jetson Xavier NX As 70x45mm 10~15 Watt "AI Supercomputer"

    NVIDIA announced today the newest member of the Jetson family: the Xavier NX as "the world's smallest supercomputer" coming in at smaller than the size of a credit/debit card. This mini supercomputer can deliver 21 TOPS for modern AI workloads while consuming less than 10 Watts or optionally a higher-performance 15 Watt mode...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tson-Xavier-NX

  • #2
    This is super interesting. I wish Nvidia would take the phone/tablet market seriously. I get Nvidia wants to charge a premium, and without LTE it's a tough battle, but now that Microsoft is launching Arm based Surface books, surely a really high performing Arm chip from Nvidia would sell well, and could demand a high price.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      This is super interesting. I wish Nvidia would take the phone/tablet market seriously. I get Nvidia wants to charge a premium, and without LTE it's a tough battle, but now that Microsoft is launching Arm based Surface books, surely a really high performing Arm chip from Nvidia would sell well, and could demand a high price.
      If Nvidia re-joined the phone/tablet market i'm pretty sure they would use stock cortex a77 cpu and a55 cores. I can't see Nvidia doing that though, Tegra wasn't a big success apart from it being used in the nintendo switch.

      Comment


      • #4
        But using stock Arm designs is boring no different from anyone else. I guess they would differentiate on GPU.
        Still, Apple stomps on the stock Arm designs. Apple's A series is 2 years ahead of QCOMM. It doesn't like like they'll catch up by just using reference designs.

        Comment


        • #5
          It's obvious that they also intend them for use in cameras with the MIPI interfaces.
          But in that case, missing SDI interfaces is a big omission.
          Sure, you can convert the SDI to CSI-2, but that would require a FPGA or something.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's interesting to me. I'd like also to know the absolute performance of the cpu and the gpu of the board.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

              If Nvidia re-joined the phone/tablet market i'm pretty sure they would use stock cortex a77 cpu and a55 cores. I can't see Nvidia doing that though, Tegra wasn't a big success apart from it being used in the nintendo switch.
              I'd say the Tegra 3 Nexus 7 was one of the most memorable Android devices, as for it's time it delivered solid performance, and was branded by Google.

              I'd be fine with them providing chips for Nintendo, but I would not buy other devices from them, as I refuse to put up with crappy drivers for their GPUs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                This is super interesting. I wish Nvidia would take the phone/tablet market seriously. I get Nvidia wants to charge a premium, and without LTE it's a tough battle, but now that Microsoft is launching Arm based Surface books, surely a really high performing Arm chip from Nvidia would sell well, and could demand a high price.
                Phones would be difficult since that would require so much 3G/4G/LTE technology.
                A tablet would be easier, and they could target it to a gaming audience.

                But maybe what they really ought is Chromebooks, Windows 10X "chromebooks", and laptops.

                Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

                If Nvidia re-joined the phone/tablet market i'm pretty sure they would use stock cortex a77 cpu and a55 cores. I can't see Nvidia doing that though, Tegra wasn't a big success apart from it being used in the nintendo switch.
                No, why would they use stock ARM Cortex?
                They already have their own custom ARM cores, the Nvidia Carmel so they would likely use that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post

                  Phones would be difficult since that would require so much 3G/4G/LTE technology.
                  A tablet would be easier, and they could target it to a gaming audience.

                  But maybe what they really ought is Chromebooks, Windows 10X "chromebooks", and laptops.



                  No, why would they use stock ARM Cortex?
                  They already have their own custom ARM cores, the Nvidia Carmel so they would likely use that.
                  Because nVidia has no brand recognition in this segment, so more expensive custom cores won't sell too well outside very high end smartphones and even then you need to fight Apple and Samsung there.

                  Sure most gamers know what nVidia is but remember the smartphones segment is where most people blindly buy brand not technical specs, so unless nVidia can get samsung behind their chips is very unlikely they will mass produce their SOCs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

                    Phones would be difficult since that would require so much 3G/4G/LTE technology.
                    A tablet would be easier, and they could target it to a gaming audience.

                    But maybe what they really ought is Chromebooks, Windows 10X "chromebooks", and laptops.



                    No, why would they use stock ARM Cortex?
                    They already have their own custom ARM cores, the Nvidia Carmel so they would likely use that.
                    Their custom cores are designed for cars, they likely use a lot more power than cortex a77.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X