NVIDIA 435.17 Linux Beta Driver Adds Vulkan + OpenGL PRIME Render Offload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Floturcocantsee View Post

Currently it will put the GPU into P5 (2Watt idle with GPU decoding on demand) if it's not turing. Still on the 97 watt xps 15 that's the difference between 7-8 hours and 6-7 at the worst.
    Fantastic.
    This new driver also should provide full speed in OpenGL (OpenCL) and Vulkan based applications, right?
    Davinci Resolve Studio was running really poor with Prime before that despite recognizing my Nvidia 1070.

Comment

Originally posted by Magissia View Post
      Too bad they dropped support for my GPU
      Are you talking about Kepler? I am using the driver series 430 without issue, from what I understood, on linux, the mobile chips will still keep being compatible with the drivers while the main architecture is still being supported, they will just not offer application specific optimizations for these cards. Am I wrong?

Comment

Testing with CS:Source video stress test on Kubuntu 19.10, nvidia960m, 4K using NVidia On-Demand profile:

Launch steam with:
        Code:
        __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia steam

Or directly launch the game:
        Code:
        __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia steam steam://rungameid/240

Either of the above produce 65-67 fps, whereas using the dedicated NVidia (Performance mode) profile produces ~100fps.

The intel card alone produces 30fps, so even though Prime rendering "works" performance is reduced by ~34%. This frame drop produces noticeable stutter even though the on screen frame rate is well above 60fps (screen refresh rate is 60Hz), while dedicated (Performance mode) mode is perfectly smooth.

Anyone else notice a performance delta?

I am unsure how run Michel's test suite in the Prime rendering mode to see if the performance hit is consistent across more applications.
        Last edited by darinmiller; 15 August 2019, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Just tested it on MSI GS65, with Fedora 30. It is working good, there is a problem anyway - because on this laptop Nvidia is wired directly on HDMI and MIni Display Port - when I need to use external monitor on this ports - I need to create Xorg file for reverse prime (Otherwise I do not have signal the on external monitor ). I think this process should be automated.
          If I use Thunderbolt port with USB to HDMI adpeter - everything is fine, because USB is wired to the Intel adapter.
          When I test the battery performance, I will write back.

Comment

Originally posted by darinmiller View Post
            Testing with CS:Source video stress test on Kubuntu 19.04, nvidia960m, 4K using NVidia On-Demand profile:.
            How did u get the driver for 19.04? its only out for 19.10?

Comment

Wow, I've had this working for years - two laptops one r600 another tonga. Nice of nVidia to finally catch up

Comment

Originally posted by oljo View Post

Same question. On https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa, it’s only available to 19.10.

Comment

Originally posted by oljo View Post

Apologies, I meant 19.10. I boot between Neon Dev Unstable, 19.04 and 19.10 on this laptop and spaced which one I was testing.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

Where did you grab the package from? And how about the patched xorg?

Edit: found them
                    This PPA contains versions of the X.Org X server built with the patches needed to use PRIME render offload on the NVIDIA driver. See https://people.freedesktop.org/~aplattner/nvidia-readme/primerenderoffload.html for more details.

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa
                    Thanks for the link. I also have the XPS 15 9570. I only just heard about this. I'll have to give it a try. I assume these PPA's will work on Ubuntu just as well as Pop OS right?

Comment

Originally posted by darinmiller View Post
                      Testing with CS:Source video stress test on Kubuntu 19.10, nvidia960m, 4K using NVidia On-Demand profile:

Launch steam with:
                      Code:
                      __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia steam

Or directly launch the game:
                      Code:
                      __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia steam steam://rungameid/240

Either of the above produce 65-67 fps, whereas using the dedicated NVidia (Performance mode) profile produces ~100fps.

The intel card alone produces 30fps, so even though Prime rendering "works" performance is reduced by ~34%. This frame drop produces noticeable stutter even though the on screen frame rate is well above 60fps (screen refresh rate is 60Hz), while dedicated (Performance mode) mode is perfectly smooth.

Anyone else notice a performance delta?

I am unsure how run Michel's test suite in the Prime rendering mode to see if the performance hit is consistent across more applications.
                      Is it possible that it is being limited due to the refresh rate of your display, per https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...53648/#4953648?

Comment

Working...
                      X