No announcement yet.

Developers Devising Plan To Ship Newer NVIDIA Drivers On Ubuntu Stable Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developers Devising Plan To Ship Newer NVIDIA Drivers On Ubuntu Stable Releases

Phoronix: Developers Devising Plan To Ship Newer NVIDIA Drivers On Ubuntu Stable Releases

Currently NVIDIA's packaged drivers on Ubuntu can get a bit stale on Ubuntu stable releases since they aren't updated in-step with the latest driver releases. But a new stable release update (SRU) policy/exception similar to the Firefox approach is being made for Ubuntu so that new releases will end up working their way into currently supported Ubuntu series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is literally a nonissue.

Fresh drivers from upstream, currently shipping Nvidia. ## Current releases Current production branch release: 535.154.05 Current new feature branch release: 550.54.14 Current beta release: 550.40.07 ## Legacy releases 470.223.02 (x86_64) - GKxxx “Kepler” GPUs 390.157 (x86 / x86_64 / ARM) - GF1xx “Fermi” GPUs (*​) 340.108 (x86 / x86_64) - GeForce 8 and 9 series GPUs (*​) 304.137 (x86 / x86_64) - GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs (*​) 173.14.39 (x86 / x86_64) - GeForce 5 series GPUs (*​) 96.43.2...

Comment

Two things here:

1. Newer doesn't always equal better. NVIDIA ships broken drivers all the time with tons of regressions. There's a reason that overclockers spend weeks validating drivers before doing runs on liquid nitrogen.

2. NVIDIA stops supporting hardware frequently, especially on their mobile drivers. Unless I can force a branch, like R390 in the case of my laptop, this feature is useless to me.

Comment

Would love to see that for the free software drivers too...
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          Well, this definitely needs to happen out-of-the-box without the user needing to manually add a PPA (think of how Linus assumed nvidia 390 from the repos was OK on his proton video). Due to the level of stability Ubuntu targets, Canonical probably thinks an SRU (and the weeks of testing it entails) is more appropriate for the average user.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            I came across this PPA 2 weeks ago. Been a big time saver for me.

Comment

Originally posted by rumblpak View Post
              Two things here:

2. NVIDIA stops supporting hardware frequently, especially on their mobile drivers. Unless I can force a branch, like R390 in the case of my laptop, this feature is useless to me.
              You can use apt hold to freeze any given package to any available version:
              Code:
              sudo apt-mark hold nvidia-driver-410

Comment

Originally posted by rumblpak View Post
                Considering that pinning a version of graphics drivers keeps back your X.org server, this is a questionable choice. You're better off giving up some performance and using free drivers that are properly supported.

Comment

There's a reason people go with nvidia for graphics. Using nouveau negates that reason unfortunately, though not nouveau's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                    There's a reason people go with nvidia for graphics.
                    Its actually odd. I don't know a single person that has gone with nvidia blobs. Everyone I know is with the open amd drivers or intel.

Is nvidia still relevant now that open-source drivers are starting to really become competitive or is nvidia simply for users new to Linux who don't know any better? It might make for an interesting poll!

Comment

Working...
                    X