No announcement yet.

Running NVIDIA On GNOME's X.Org Session May Get A Lot Smoother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the odds they will be backported to ubuntu 19.04?

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

I see you have never defended a brand. If you see GNOME developers using Apple computers, those developers are sending the next message: "Look that, they don't use their own product, so their product has to be as bad that it isn't worth it to use in real environments."

This is not question about free or non-free software, it's a commercial issue, and the reality of the commercial situation is what I exposed in the previous paragraph.
      But GNOME doesn't have their own laptop brand. The best they can do is cover up the Apple logo with a GNOME sticker, but anyone will still recognize the MacBook underneath. Besides, it's not like MacBooks are the golden standard anymore with all of the keyboard issues and whatnot. And Microsoft has used MacBooks for presentations as well, shouldn't they be bankrupt by now then as they indirectly promoted macOS?
      Last edited by Vistaus; 03 June 2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wojcian View Post
        Furthermore, they're indirectly promoting macOS.
        So they should use a ThinkPad and indirectly promote Windows? They could vow to only use hardware from Linux vendors (System76 etc.) but that really limits their choices. The Linux community is all about freedom, so that should apply to everyone, including GNOME devs. Now don't get me wrong: I don't like GNOME, but freedom = freedom.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 03 June 2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeZiD View Post
          And there's activities which no other desktop environment has.
          KDE has that. Okay, so on KDE it's optional, but it does ship with the option. And theShell has something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

KDE has that. Okay, so on KDE it's optional, but it does ship with the option. And theShell has something similar.
            How exactly though. Only thing I've found is Qoverview which I would have to compile by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Daniel van Vugt has submitted all of his patches upstream. These patches have not been backported to the 3.32 packages in Ubuntu. I've been backporting and testing these patches on a wide range of hardware at System76 for Pop!_OS, however. We will land these patches early if it can improve the desktop experience for our customers and users today.
              I'm well aware of the status of the upstream patches, I was replying to a comment that Fedora doesn't (and imho shouldn't) include unstable patches,

We all know what happened when Canonical shipped the Linux kernel with unstable features enabled.

Comment

someone, give him radeon

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
                  I don't think I've ever seen a presentation about desktop Linux on a Macbook. Now, server is whole different thing.
                  Probably you're right...

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I'm well aware of the status of the upstream patches, I was replying to a comment that Fedora doesn't (and imho shouldn't) include unstable patches,

We all know what happened when Canonical shipped the Linux kernel with unstable features enabled.
                    The 11 patches that I tested didn't have any regressions. None of the systems in our lab exhibited problems, nor did any of my personal systems, or the personal systems of other testers. So, as of this morning, all of these patches are in the stable repos for Pop!_OS 19.04.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Can anybody help me understand how to apply these fixes to ubuntu 19.04 directly ? I mean , do I need to compile or can I get some debs from somwhere, which I can simply install ? I see, someone has posted pop os debs, but can I install them over in ubuntu 19.04 ?

Any help would be highly appreciated

Comment

Working...
                      X