Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running NVIDIA On GNOME's X.Org Session May Get A Lot Smoother

Phoronix: Running NVIDIA On GNOME's X.Org Session May Get A Lot Smoother

Canonical's Daniel van Vugt continues doing a lot of interesting performance investigations and optimizations around improving the experience of GNOME not only for Ubuntu but the upstream components. His latest focus has been on NVIDIA enhancements and now for the X.Org session there is a merge request pending to provide for a smoother experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Daniel also added
    That was a comment from Dennis Schmitz, not Daniel van Vugt.

Anyway, sounds awesome

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      11 years of gnome3 development and no end to see. 99% of computer users would use a Linux desktop without gnome3.
      Actually most Gnome3 developers don't even use Gnome3 as their main desktop. Most of them use macOS anyways. You can see this whenever you meet any of them at any Linux related event.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

Actually most Gnome3 developers don't even use Gnome3 as their main desktop. Most of them use macOS anyways. You can see this whenever you meet any of them at any Linux related event.
        This tells a lot about Gnome.

Comment

"So let's hope that this merge request will land for the current GNOME 3.33 development"

Hope (Toivo in Finnish, also a male name) is good to live said parasite. The IBM-MS-Nvidia partnership will not be happy when usage of a Linux desktop improves. 11 years of gnome3 development and no end to see. 99% of computer users would use a Linux desktop without gnome3 . Gnome3 is a great tool to prevent more people use a Linux desktop. Gnome3 believers will not give up hope and it is very funny.

11 years, think.
          Just call them by their name, they're obviously shills. Nobody would want to say good things about GNOME for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

Is this true?

Comment

...11 years of gnome3 development...
              How much development has XFCE seen in that time? Have they even finished migrating to GTK3 yet?

Writing that, it's just occurred to me, your beloved desktop is built on top of technology that is most closely associated with Gnome

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

Is this true?
                macbook = macOS i suppose lmao

Comment

This is great work. Maybe lots of people dont care if their desktop lags, but I can't stand it. I need my 60 frames and windows to resize with the cursor on the pixel while compiling kernel with -j `nproc`. This isn'tjust about choice of desktop. When I see user interface insulting a user with >17 ms delays I project that into the backend of the system and conclude that the entire system and its architecture is a failure.it just should not not happen. It is more important than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

macbook = macOS i suppose lmao
                    Brand awareness is something extremely underrated in FLOSS area. You will never see a man promoting Coca Cola (Coke) while he's drinking Pepsi. The topic is the same with desktops, it's not a good idea promoting other product when your are developer of a competitor. While KDE has it own "official" hardware, GNOME still defends it's existence upon an empty vision of software libre.

I really like GNOME, I use Ubuntu 18.04 and Manjaro GNOME, but I'm not agree in how the project is managed in many fronts.

Comment

Working...
                    X