Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 430.14 Linux Driver Improves Vulkan Performance For DiRT 4, Steam Play Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 430.14 Linux Driver Improves Vulkan Performance For DiRT 4, Steam Play Games

Phoronix: NVIDIA 430.14 Linux Driver Improves Vulkan Performance For DiRT 4, Steam Play Games

NVIDIA released the 430.14 Linux driver today as their first non-beta driver build in this 430 branch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How can Nvidia make driver optimizations for Vulkan games? I thought since vulkan it is a low level API no GPU manufacturer needs to make optimizations but is done completely by the game devs.

Comment

Originally posted by acedogblast View Post
      How can Nvidia make driver optimizations for Vulkan games? I thought since vulkan it is a low level API no GPU manufacturer needs to make optimizations but is done completely by the game devs.
      DIRT 4 could be using certain functions in a specific way that caused them to behave slower maybe?

Comment

Looks like the vulkan version is 1.1.99 so you still need to use the vulkan beta drivers if you want newer vulkan support (e.g. to get the new extension used to improve performance in DXVK 1.1.1).

Comment

Originally posted by aphysically View Post
          Looks like the vulkan version is 1.1.99 so you still need to use the vulkan beta drivers if you want newer vulkan support (e.g. to get the new extension used to improve performance in DXVK 1.1.1).
          It seems you don't, as already pointed out by GamingOnLinux and other Linux user on reddit, VK_EXT_host_query_reset is already included in 430.14. Just not mentioned in the changelog. I still need to wait for the Driver PPA to be updated to confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by acedogblast View Post
            Vulkan is lower level api than opengl/dx11, but not really low level like "write shaders in native gpu assembler instructions".

Comment

Originally posted by TuxTuxTux View Post

It seems you don't, as already pointed out by GamingOnLinux and other Linux user on reddit, VK_EXT_host_query_reset is already included in 430.14. Just not mentioned in the changelog. I still need to wait for the Driver PPA to be updated to confirm.
              It seems you're right, manually inspecting the extensions reported in vulkaninfo shows the VK_EXT_host_query_reset extension despite it also reporting that it is 1.1.99.

Comment

Nothing yet about the Linux 5.1 support... After almost 2 months since RC1...
                Edited: Nvm, now, with 430, it compiles alright on Linux 5.1, even though they did not mention anything about it.
                Last edited by Alliancemd; 15 May 2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Nvidia has no resources to mention it. Open source software is the best.
                  They usually mention the support in their release notes.
                  You can see here for example when they fixed the support for Linux 5.0: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...x/142958/en-us

Comment

I see 430.26 is available.

Comment

Working...
                    X