No announcement yet.

NVIDIA "AltMode" Open-Source Driver Heading To Mainline Kernel With Linux 5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA "AltMode" Open-Source Driver Heading To Mainline Kernel With Linux 5.2

Phoronix: NVIDIA "AltMode" Open-Source Driver Heading To Mainline Kernel With Linux 5.2

There's a new open-source NVIDIA driver heading to the mainline kernel with Linux 5.2, but don't get too excited...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am now conflicted. Should I wait patiently for the 1st of May for news about the Valve index, or try and cop a Samsung Odyssey off ebay while prices are still cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by OMTDesign View Post
      I am now conflicted. Should I wait patiently for the 1st of May for news about the Valve index, or try and cop a Samsung Odyssey off ebay while prices are still cheap?
      If you can afford what the Valve Index will likely cost and want something that will be reasonably well-supported, I'd wait. That's what I'm doing, anyhow. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by OMTDesign View Post
        Can you use Windows Mixed Reality Headsets under Linux? I wanted to get one, but didn't want to risk buying another one when Linux VR gets good.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post

Can you use Windows Mixed Reality Headsets under Linux? I wanted to get one, but didn't want to risk buying another one when Linux VR gets good.
          Well we will see soon enough whether I can afford it or not.

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post

You can through OpenHMD, but they are not fully supported and you don't get positional tracking.

Free and Open Source API and drivers for immersive technology. - OpenHMD/OpenHMD

Comment

when wayland?

Comment

Working...
            X