Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC Media Player To Receive VDPAU Support

Phoronix: VLC Media Player To Receive VDPAU Support

Back when NVIDIA introduced VDPAU they had provided a set of patches that implemented this video API within the MPlayer and FFmpeg projects. Since the introduction of the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix, the community has come up with VDPAU support for MythTV and most recently the Xine media player picked up VDPAU support. This afternoon we now have word that the VLC media player will be picking up VDPAU support. The VLC project currently has two developers working on implementing this video API that currently is only used by NVIDIA's binary driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And no signs of AMD AVIVO HD being implemented on drivers, just a bunch of disabled files, oh man, I can't take this any longer, I'm installing the GTX260 that I just bought to use Linux...

NVIDIA really kick in and gave linux users a definite advantage over ATI right now.

Comment

I hope you don't get screen corruptions with it like with my 8800 GTS 512. Can you watch h264 via DVB?

Comment

Well, with fglrx 8.12 there is a package called libamdxvba1 and Xorg.0.log reports that UVD2 is available, so I hope, that AMD wont be left behind and will bring some interesting changes with upcoming drivers ;-)

Anyway nvidia is on the fire right now ;-)

Comment

Well that package would not work because the .cap file is missing. With my script I add the missing file, but there is no header to compile any app against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Well that package would not work because the .cap file is missing. With my script I add the missing file, but there is no header to compile any app against it.
            Isn't it be possible to dump the symbols and deduce the header from the mangled names? I think Michael said that Amd's API is a simple extension to the existing video decode acceleration (sorry, I can't remember yet another acronym ) - I'm not saying it's worth the effort, but it could make for a fun afternoon.

Comment

There is another lib which can be used for XvMC when you compile mplayer against it, but usually you only need accelleration for h264 not for simple mpeg1/2.

Comment

What is bad about the linux implementation from ati (even before we know any details about it's implentation) is the fac that it only supports uvd2 which severly limits the number of users able to take advantage of said acceleration vs nvidia which accepts all gpu's with video decode capability.

Whats funny is that uvd is far more capable than the first iteration of nvidia purevideoHD

Comment

Well VDPAU is for me unstable and has tearing. I guess it will still take a few month till those bugs are solved. Don't know how far ATI is with their implementation. But they need to release also a sample code not to stay behind Nvidia.

Comment

Which cards support VDPAU? (G7x, G8x, or?)

Comment

Working...
                    X