Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux with Nvidia GPU: Is it really that bad?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux with Nvidia GPU: Is it really that bad?

Hello everyone,

I am currently eyeing on this one Acer since it is the only Windows 10 tablet at the moment with dedicated Nvidia GPU. Naturally, I would like to dual-boot it with my preferred Linux desktop distro.

However, my quick search on Google about Linux on Nvidia shows a rather... ummm... unpleasant experience with it from, it must be said, quite a lot of users. That got me thinking:
    • Is the experience running Linux on any PC with Nvidia really that bad? Or is it just a mere certain users' issue?
    • And while we're on the subject of graphic cards, how would AMD fair up?
    Thank you!

I run 2 different Linux distros (Mint 19.1, Salient OS [Arch-based]) on 3 of my computers (2 desktop, 1 laptop) all of which have nVidia graphics (desktops RTX-2080Ti, GTX1080, laptop GTX1070) and don't have any issues

Sam

Comment

During the 12 years I´ ve been using linux for various usecases at home (anything from gaming to photo/videoediting and simple filesharing and movie streaming) and I can honestly say that I´ ve only had problems because of nvidia at most a handful of times.
      During this time I have been trying out AMD every now and then (including the Vega 64).
      But every time I come across problems. If it´s not the hardware, it´s the software..always something.

But for me, with nvidia, it´ s just a matter of installing the distro and drivers and you´ re good to go. This goes for both desktop-pc and laptops (although I haven´t had any laptops with "optimus).
      Yeah sure it´ s proprietary software, but as long as it´ s performing well without any hickups, i´ll take the nvidiabloob any day, over AMD, in it´ s current state.

And I want to be clear, I´ m not and nvidiafanboy. I go where the performance and stability takes my.
      Should the situation change in the fututre and AMD surpases nvidia, then I´ ll be the first one to switch along.
      Last edited by mrazster; 21 April 2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrazster View Post
        During the 12 years I´ ve been using linux for various usecases at home (anything from gaming to photo/videoediting and simple filesharing and movie streaming) and I can honestly say that I´ ve only had problems because of nvidia at most a handful of times.
        During this time I have been trying out AMD every now and then (including the Vega 64).
        But every time I come across problems. If it´s not the hardware, it´s the software..always something.Tweakbox https://www.happywheels.vip/ https://vlc.onl/

But for me, with nvidia, it´ s just a matter of installing the distro and drivers and you´ re good to go. This goes for both desktop-pc and laptops (although I haven´t had any laptops with "optimus).
        Yeah sure it´ s proprietary software, but as long as it´ s performing well without any hickups, i´ll take the nvidiabloob any day, over AMD, in it´ s current state.

And I want to be clear, I´ m not and nvidiafanboy. I go where the performance and stability takes my.
        Should the situation change in the fututre and AMD surpases nvidia, then I´ ll be the first one to switch along.
        thankyou!!

Comment

Working...
        X