Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases Another 180.xx Beta Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases Another 180.xx Beta Driver

In roughly the past month NVIDIA has released five beta display drivers for the Linux operating system. NVIDIA began by releasing the 180.06 driver that brought PureVideo-like features to Linux in the middle of November...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No word has been given by NVIDIA as to when the NVIDIA Linux 180.xx series may leave beta.
    Little bird says January.

Comment

nvidia proprietary driver is a mess for a compositing window manager using direct rendering. And using indirect rendering, which is quite slower, you do not get vsync(=very ugly).
      Well... we really need a GPL driver (certainly not BSD in order to assert that the open source driver will be the best).

Comment

Too late for me, some weeks ago I resigned using Linux for gaming, tired of issues like bad performance in Quake Wars and strange problems with Nvidia, like KDE4 desktop effects activating high performance mode on the videocard, OSS4 drivers still not completed for soundcard, etc ...

Now I use my most powerful computer as a gaming machine only with XP 64 and all the other serious task with the second in line, with Ubuntu/Debian 64 bits.

Maybe it's still a victory for Linux camp, is not it? my best PC relegated as "Windows XP Console Game Mode", to each their own.

Nice Christmas for you all.
        Last edited by marakaid; 23 December 2008, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
          Too late for me, some weeks ago I resigned using Linux for gaming, tired of bad performance in Quake Wars and strange problems with Nvidia.

Now I use my most powerful computer as a gaming machine only with XP 64 and all the other serious task with the second in line, with Ubuntu/Debian 64 bits.

Maybe it's still a victory for Linux camp, is not it? my best PC relegated as "Windows XP Console Game Mode", to each their own.

Nice Christmas for you all.
          Wow, you are a lucky guy. I bared with nvidia until quake 4 only. I had so many issues when upgrading my kernel and their drivers... I let down gaming for good. More over, now I run 64 bits only systems and most games are 32 bits only.
          Really, if nvidia could release their hardware programing specs... and let us have a proper GPL driver in the main Linux tree... everything will be brighter, but they keep their hate generator to the max.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
            Wow, you are a lucky guy. I bared with nvidia until quake 4 only. I had so many issues when upgrading my kernel and their drivers... I let down gaming for good. More over, now I run 64 bits only systems and most games are 32 bits only.
            Really, if nvidia could release their hardware programing specs... and let us have a proper GPL driver in the main Linux tree... everything will be brighter, but they keep their hate generator to the max.
            My computer dedicated for Linux and serious things (work, video editing, some servers) is still powerful with a Core2 Duo processor and a G33 mainboard that integrates everything I need, while staying nearly silent.

One thought I can share with you: Is if I have been "sensing" Nvidia performance and/or support for games degrading for more than a year; maybe my memory is not clear, but I remember playing in Debian Etch near the end of 2006 - half of 2007 playing the available games at that moment, (with a K8 AMD, 7600GT, 1GB ram) like Quake4, UT2004 very satisfying.

Something has changed on most recent Linux distributions or Nvidia drivers; I have been trying (32 bit and 64 bit mode included) Ubuntu, Mandriva, Debian, Slackware, and many others I can't remember; the only distribution where I played Quake Wars nearly the same as Windows (or at least where I felt it smooth, I don't like FPS scores) was Arch Linux 32 bits, somewhere in summer 2008, with my best PC (specs on the signature).
            Last edited by marakaid; 23 December 2008, 08:19 AM.

Comment

nvidia proprietary driver is a mess for a compositing window manager using direct rendering. And using indirect rendering, which is quite slower, you do not get vsync(=very ugly).
              Well... we really need a GPL driver (certainly not BSD in order to assert that the open source driver will be the best).
              wth are talking about ?
              currently the nvidia driver is the only one that works reliable with direct rendering + cm.

The intel/radeon drivers with DRI2 are still not ready for usage yet.

And compiz works fine without any slowdown or corruptions now (the ones introduced in 167.07 where fixed with the first 180.xx ) release.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragoran View Post
                wth are talking about ?
                currently the nvidia driver is the only one that works reliable with direct rendering + cm.

The intel/radeon drivers with DRI2 are still not ready for usage yet.

And compiz works fine without any slowdown or corruptions now (the ones introduced in 167.07 where fixed with the first 180.xx ) release.
                No.
                We are several to experience really messy direct rendering with a compositing window manager with latest drivers (180.15). Our common point is a display of 2500x1600@60.
                And come on... a pb started in 167.07 and fixed in 180.xx... how long did it take? Is nvidia mocking us? Really that's insulting.
                They should release their hardware programming specifications and put a GPL driver in the main Linux tree.

Comment

No.
                  We are several to experience really messy direct rendering with a compositing window manager with latest drivers (180.15). Our common point is a display of 2500x1600@60.
                  And come on... a pb started in 167.07 and fixed in 180.xx... how long did it take? Is nvidia mocking us? Really that's insulting.
                  They should release their hardware programming specifications and put a GPL driver in the main Linux tree.
                  First of all, there is no 180.15 drivers or 167.07 for that fact.

Second, the mailing lists, forums, etc are full of OSS driver issues as welll for other cards. Propriety closed drivers still offer the better performance and features then open drivers for cards that have both regardless of the vender. FOSS has yet to prove that they can deliver on providing a reliable, top performance driver in video.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    First of all, there is no 180.15 drivers or 167.07 for that fact.
                    http://svn.liveforge.org/berkano/tru...-180.16.ebuild It's even worse than with previous drivers.

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Second, the mailing lists, forums, etc are full of OSS driver issues as welll for other cards. Propriety closed drivers still offer the better performance and features then open drivers for cards that have both regardless of the vender. FOSS has yet to prove that they can deliver on providing a reliable, top performance driver in video.
                    First, the nvidia proprietary drivers aren't reliable: that's why we are several to complain.
                    To what are you comparing the nvidia proprietary drivers to???? There are no reasonable alternative drivers since the hardware programming specifications have not been released!
                    Let us have the hardware programming specifications... and then we'll see, shall we?

Comment

Working...
                    X