Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA CUDA 2.1 Beta Released

Phoronix: NVIDIA CUDA 2.1 Beta Released

Just in time before many of NVIDIA's engineers leave for the holidays, the first beta of CUDA 2.1 has been released. The beta for version 2.1 of the Compute Unified Device Architecture brings a few changes to both the SDK and Toolkit.The only major change in the CUDA 2.1 Beta Toolkit is improved OpenGL interoperability by only copying shared buffers through the host memory when CUDA and OpenGL are running on different GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems like they're releasing new stuff every week.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
      Seems like they're releasing new stuff every week.
      Damn those bastards for paying attention to linux. It totally screws up the "oh ya but what happens they stop supporting it and the sky starts falling" rhetoric.

Comment

"no support for OpenCL yet"

wait, you mean that thing that was just made official a couple weeks ago?

I don't know if you guys are trying to harsh on NVIDIA, or if you just have really high expectations, but come on, guys. Let's be serious here.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post

I don't know if you guys are trying to harsh on NVIDIA, or if you just have really high expectations, but come on, guys. Let's be serious here.

exactly, it's about 100 times I say this website is pro-AMD and when they talk about NVIDIA their tone is somehow less-happy of AMD articles. even when NVIDIA does something great.
          You can get the worst FGLRX release of all time and still the article has a more optimistic tone than any NVIDIA release.

And I even suggested to put an AMD logo at least a user that reads knows he's reading a pro-AMD website.

NVIDIA does things that AMD probably will never do and we all know a comparison between FGLRX driver and NVIDIA is like asking yourself if a chicken is faster then a horse, and the chicken article is written in a way that makes you actually believe it. I hope I explained my self.

Also I would like to ask, if NVIDIA works as it should with XV, is there a good reason for FGLRX driver not working? maybe because NVIDIA had worked more and implemented things instead FGLRX is waiting for xorg and that stuff to implement it? is this an answer? NO! it's not because then it's like you were saying NVIDIA is stupid for coding all that stuff. Instead, NVIDIA deserves respect. AMD? answer yourself.

"This beta release isn't particularly interesting and what it also lacks is any support for OpenCL layered atop CUDA. "

Well, if there isn't anything interesting here, is there anythng interesting on AMD work? is that sentance a joke? I hope so. If you take the time for writing this article, then please take the time telling how bad FGLRX driver is and put a bold font saying: "these drivers not only aren't interisting for lacking features, but the few things it does even work bad". also repeat it 10 times just to be sure everyone understands the difference between AMD and NVIDIA.

anyways I always like reading phoronix articles and accept Michael Larabel's way of writing them... even if he's a pro-AMD... actually reading his NVIDIA articles always make me laugh a bit....it almost looks like he does it on purpose
          Last edited by bulletxt; 20 December 2008, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Well said. Phoronix always praises AMD/ATI and I wonder if they're getting somehow paid for it? I can't explain it otherwise. NVidia is superior to AMD/ATI in every aspect with their binary drivers, yet someone who doesn't know gets it backwards by reading Phoronix articles.
            Last edited by RealNC; 20 December 2008, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Guys, it's true that Phoronix is pro-AMD, but this news item really is non-news.

I just re-read it and I*cannot see where it puts Nvidia down. No OpenCL*support is not a negative statement!*Nvidia has confirmed it will layer OpenCL*atop CUDA and we know they will probably be the first to release an implementation - it makes sense to check for OpenCL and report if it's there or not (with a lot of fanfare if it *is* there).

Remember, this article is not talking about drivers. It's simply talking about a beta release of a product used by a small minority of developers and reports that there are no ground-breaking features. That's it!

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                exactly, it's about 100 times I say this website is pro-AMD and when they talk about NVIDIA their tone is somehow less-happy of AMD articles. even when NVIDIA does something great.
                You can get the worst FGLRX release of all time and still the article has a more optimistic tone than any NVIDIA release.

And I even suggested to put an AMD logo at least a user that reads knows he's reading a pro-AMD website.

NVIDIA does things that AMD probably will never do and we all know a comparison between FGLRX driver and NVIDIA is like asking yourself if a chicken is faster then a horse, and the chicken article is written in a way that makes you actually believe it. I hope I explained my self.

Also I would like to ask, if NVIDIA works as it should with XV, is there a good reason for FGLRX driver not working? maybe because NVIDIA had worked more and implemented things instead FGLRX is waiting for xorg and that stuff to implement it? is this an answer? NO! it's not because then it's like you were saying NVIDIA is stupid for coding all that stuff. Instead, NVIDIA deserves respect. AMD? answer yourself.

"This beta release isn't particularly interesting and what it also lacks is any support for OpenCL layered atop CUDA. "

Well, if there isn't anything interesting here, is there anythng interesting on AMD work? is that sentance a joke? I hope so. If you take the time for writing this article, then please take the time telling how bad FGLRX driver is and put a bold font saying: "these drivers not only aren't interisting for lacking features, but the few things it does even work bad". also repeat it 10 times just to be sure everyone understands the difference between AMD and NVIDIA.

anyways I always like reading phoronix articles and accept Michael Larabel's way of writing them... even if he's a pro-AMD... actually reading his NVIDIA articles always make me laugh a bit....it almost looks like he does it on purpose

Where has this article bean "putting nvidia down"? It simply states what is "in" and what is "not in" the release. Besides this is really not much news-worthy. Why can't people once for a while put fanboy-ism aside U.=.U

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post

Where has this article bean "putting nvidia down"? It simply states what is "in" and what is "not in" the release. Besides this is really not much news-worthy. Why can't people once for a while put fanboy-ism aside U.=.U

fanboy?? ahahah. no, i'm an ATI user and always have been an ATI user. I have an ATI 2600XT. before i had a radeon 9600xt. so shutup before saying i'm an nvidia fanboy. if your question is: "so why are you an ati user?". very simple: their cards generally cost 20-30? less. it's just a matter of money.

anyways if you can't understand that michael is pro-AMD then I don't care. not everyone is smart enough to read with a brain.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post

It's true that since it's a completely new API we need to set our expectations realistically, but when the spec was made public has virtually no connection to the amount of time NVidia has been able to work on it. They probably had access to the earliest drafts and have been working on an implementation for months. The same goes for the other GPU vendors too.

Comment

Working...
                    X