NVIDIA Shows Off Quake II Path-Traced Using Vulkan RTX/Ray-Tracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcallegari View Post
    ...so, they have time to show off Quake 2 and no chance to sign binary blobs for re-clocking in Linux huh ?
    It's not an issue of having time or not...

Originally posted by muddymind View Post
    That video is from the q2vkpt project and not Quake 2 RTX. They showed a brief video of the new one on the key note but it is yet to be made available.
    From what I have read, the RTX-Version is based on QT2PTVK since the developer was an intern at Nvidia a while ago. What's changed is that they apparently do not have to denoise (that much?) anymore. I'd like to know how that works. Did they just increase the rays-per-pixel limit a lot such that the indirekt lights are not as "stochastic" anymore?
    Last edited by GruenSein; 19 March 2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

There is a Windows binary available while Linux users at least for now will need to build it on their own.
      Who would want Nvidia's binaries on Linux anyway... Oh, wait...

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
        From what I have read, the RTX-Version is based on QT2PTVK since the developer was an intern at Nvidia a while ago. What's changed is that they apparently do not have to denoise (that much?) anymore. I'd like to know how that works. Did they just increase the rays-per-pixel limit a lot such that the indirekt lights are not as "stochastic" anymore?
        So much has changed that it is barely the same project and thus the name change from QT2PTVK to Quake 2 RTX.

Some of the changes:
        • Glass and water now implement both reflection and refraction.
        • Changed the engine to be fully HDR.
        • The light was totally redone bypassing the original game light points and implementing proper ambient light and light emitting textures
        • Some materials like metal were revamped
        • Implementation of volumetric light shafts
        • Implementation of fluid sim to explosions and smoke
        • Implementation of particles (they were missing in QT2PTVK)
        The differences are huge and totally change the tone of the game between the two projects.

Comment

Originally posted by mcallegari View Post
          ...so, they have time to show off Quake 2 and no chance to sign binary blobs for re-clocking in Linux huh ?
          I guess nvidia is all play and no work?

Comment

video looks terrible. nothing like that screenshot.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

...provided that you run the specific distros (probably some Fedora and Ubuntu) that they target with their closed blobs.
              If you have a rolling release because you want to have the most recent kernel, be ready to experience API breakage.
              If you just want to have opensource software, you can go just cry in a corner until the Nouveau people manage to pull off another miracle of reverse engineering.

(also, I wonder how long until some enthusiasts manage to hack something similar with a card costing half the price, but from AMD)
              As far as I understand, it is an open source contribution to an open source project, using Vulcan RT. To run on AMD, it would require AMD to support Vulkan RT, but no blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeP View Post
                And many of the scenes are completely washed out by the overwhelming amount of light.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeP View Post
                  Like I have already told the video is from the old project and not the new one! phoronix should make that more explicit!

The correct vĂ­deo was already posted in this thread: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...67#post1087567

Comment

I find the new Crytek raytracing demo much more impressive.

Video at:

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                      I find the new Crytek raytracing demo much more impressive.

Video at:
                      Not to mention manufacturer agnostic...

Comment

Working...
                      X