Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Launch Today - Supported By The NVIDIA Linux Driver, No Nouveau Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool that the Vega 56 MSRP is coming down.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      I also wish Nvidia would RELEASE THE FUCKING FIRMWARE to not hinder the nouveau devs as they pledged. (You know the situation is bad when I go all caps and swear.)
      FUCKING AMEN BROTHER

(yes the situation is bad)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        FUCKING AMEN BROTHER
        I agree. Nvidia, it would be nice to release the firmwares. Personally I don't care about nouveau, I will always use official drivers, but by doing so I believe you don't loose a competitive advantage (or do you?), make more friends and increase your karma levels.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
          by doing so I believe you don't loose a competitive advantage (or do you?)
          It depends from what you think can compete with your products.

If the competition they fear is Geforce cards suddenly not being crippled anymore by drivers so that they have Quadro-like floating point performance (up to qhat the hardware can actually deliver), then yeah I think they would lose a competitive advantage and a ton of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

AMD cards are very flexible when it comes to this regard. The factory voltages/clocks are just wrong/too high and often require tuning.
            That s true, I own 2 polaris cards, and if tweaked, power goes down.
            Also in GPU computing, the cards consume less energy that Nvidia counterparts, but they need to be undervolted for that..

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Furthermore, did you consider idle power draw?
            This is a situation, when Nvidia is ahead, maybe duo to better dynamic power profiles( it also depends on the concept the card was made )..

A passive cooled Polaris card should have low idle power draw, I think..but I have none, since to have a RX 550 I would buy a APU instead

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              I agree. Nvidia, it would be nice to release the firmwares. Personally I don't care about nouveau, I will always use official drivers, but by doing so I believe you don't loose a competitive advantage (or do you?), make more friends and increase your karma levels.
              I found ONE good use for Nouveau. That driver is easier to get work on Optimus hardware than hacking inside the official drivers..

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                I found ONE good use for Nouveau. That driver is easier to get work on Optimus hardware than hacking inside the official drivers..
                As long as the hardware is old enough anyway, which is the main issue of the project currently.

In my work laptop I disabled Noveau in kernel as it just failed to load on my hardware and removed+locked the 3D part in Mesa as it was annoying me with warnings about low performance and potential instability every time it was updated.

The NVIDIA "driver" I load is bbswitch, that just disables and shuts down the secondary NVIDIA graphics of the laptop https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch

And this is done because I don't want to go in UEFI and switch on/off the dedicated NVIDIA each time I have to reboot into Windows.

Comment

Working...
                X