Installing Nvidia driver on Bionic Beaver 18.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Nvidia driver on Bionic Beaver 18.04

Sorry if this is the wrong place. I recently built a pc and am trying to install a driver for my RTX 2060 graphic card on ubuntu 18.04. I've read a lot of articles, tried installing with NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-415.27.run disabling secure boot in UEFI, with no luck. Nothing shows up upon executing ubuntu-drivers devices, lspci doesn't show 'RTX 2060' though is able to identify nvidia gpu.

I'm just curious if there's a comprehensive guide out there to installing Nvidia drivers on ubuntu, thanks a lot for your help.

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060

I did not immediately find a howto guide, but i can tell you that you need to blacklist nouveau driver + add nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau to your grub kernel config.

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf:
    blacklist nouveau
    options nouveau modeset=0

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau"

Then you boot to ubuntu in "Recovery mode" (Either holding down shift or repeat pressing esc key when rebooting). Choose Advanced options for Ubuntu -> (Recovery mode) -> Enable Networking (To mount filesystems) -> then "Root" to drop to root shell.
    You can then install the nVidia binary driver (the .run file).

Check if it is enabled with : dkms status, and if not you can install with : sudo dkms autoinstall -k 4.x.x.

Once stuff is compiled and installed, you should update your initramfs with : sudo update-initramfs -u (for the current running kernel).

Hopefully, you can reboot and enjoy the new nvidia driver. Probably could tweak /etc/X11/xorg.conf some to adapt whatever settings you need tho.

Comment

And again a nonsense post from the leading channel troll with with absolutely false informations. If you have no idea, just shut the fuck up.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Do not use Debian packages for the nvidia driver, many packages are difficult to remove and drivers can be old. Download and unzip the latest driver from the nvidia site and install build-essential and linux-headers packages. Reboot the computer to the Linux rescue mode with Grub. cd to the download directory and execute the run file. You can remove drivers with a single run file command, see options. This method makes patching for new kernels easier too.
        Actually, using newer driver version isn't mandatory when older version works on your hardware. When I game on Windows, I specifically test bunch of different drivers in advance, to see which has best performance in my favorite game, often these happen to be quite old versions from year or more back.

Thing is, newer drivers usually add support / fix things for newer cards and may and often do screw up optimizations when older cards are concerned. Disregard this if you card is of latest generation. At the time though, I personally can't see reason to upgrade from my GTX1070 Pascal to RTX.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Now I understand your bad internet behavior. Religious people are non academic and do not accept different views. This forum is for Linux Graphics Drivers

I did game on windows years ago, It is a waste of time and not safe to use a windows PC.

With the nvidia run file is much easier to play with different version of drivers.
          Nvidia binary drivers are at a core "same driver for all platform". So this logic would apply across platforms. I would play gladly on a non-Windows platform, if it was possible. Especially in light of Win7 approaching EOL date. None of my games work on anything non-Windows though.

About safety, Windows is as safe as you make it. Linux is not remotely safe either.

About being religious, look at mirror first, then bark at me, mr "use Debian XFCE, all else sucks".

Comment

Working...
          X