Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Linux Beta Rolling Out "G-SYNC Compatible" FreeSync Monitor Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA Linux Beta Rolling Out "G-SYNC Compatible" FreeSync Monitor Support

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Linux Beta Rolling Out "G-SYNC Compatible" FreeSync Monitor Support

    Earlier this month at CES was the surprise announcement that NVIDIA would be effectively rolling out FreeSync display support for Pascal GPUs and newer with forthcoming driver updates. There's been that support on Windows while beginning today that tear-free, gaming-focused display tech will also be working on Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...18.30-FreeSync

  • #2
    Between this and the KWin article, NVidia is looking more and more appealing and viable. I'd still rather have an AMD card on principle alone, but there's about to be no technical limitation that would prevent me from using an NVidia card (ZoL keeps me behind a kernel release or two making most NVidia driver + latest kernel issues moot).

    My R7 260x is damn near dead as of two days ago. The fan quit working at full power and I can't force it up with sysfs . It can't even run SNES on Retroarch anymore without overheating...especially sucks because I'm broke and can't even afford an RX 550 right now. It still does my desktop and videos just fine. It was a nice 6 or 8 years while it lasted.

    Comment


    • #3
      link down (?)

      edit: typo in the url: dous.wnload -> us.download
      Last edited by sl1pkn07; 01-30-2019, 01:30 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        They knew they were losing...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
          link down (?)

          edit: typo in the url: dous.wnload -> us.download
          Yep the file isn't on their main download server yet but when seeing it was on us. and going back to edit, accidentally messed it up. Fixed now.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            A short note on their "G-Sync Compatible" list:
            They seem to have deliberately made the list as short as possible to make the "Freesync" brand look bad and promote their own "G-Sync" and "G-Sync Ultimate".
            They do this by making silly requirements like requiring "Freesync on/off" in the monitors OSD to be set to "on" as default. A lot of monitors are automatically disqualified just by that alone even though they work perfectly fine when manually enabled.
            It makes sense that they would do everything in their power to promote their own brands, but a lot of people seem to miss this point and seem to think that Freesync is worthless because of it, which is just not true.
            Are there bad Freesync monitors out there? Yes, absolutely, but not as many as you would think by looking at Nvidia's list, but do make sure to do thorough research before buying.

            Comment


            • #7
              Heh there's so many places to load those drivers:
              ​​​​https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...x/142166/en-us

              As for gsync compatible, most of the dropped monitors were with too narrow VRR range. How is on linux anyway, can you enable Gsync even if you have unsupported freesync monitor as you can on windows.

              Comment


              • #8
                Works great for me on my AOC AG271QX 2560x1440_144hz freesync monitor. The only issue is that i have to disable my other monitor. which sucks. Xorg limitation?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  My R7 260x is damn near dead as of two days ago. The fan quit working at full power and I can't force it up with sysfs . It can't even run SNES on Retroarch anymore without overheating...especially sucks because I'm broke and can't even afford an RX 550 right now. It still does my desktop and videos just fine. It was a nice 6 or 8 years while it lasted.
                  Maybe the GPU's fan controller is defective, but the fan itself isn't. Does the fan work if you plug it directly into your PSU or motherboard? You can do this if you have any jumper wires lying around. If it is actually dead, maybe you could take take the fan off (but obviously keep the heatsink in place) and ziptie a normal case fan to it. Not the most elegant or effective solution, but it'll hold you over.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                    A short note on their "G-Sync Compatible" list:
                    They seem to have deliberately made the list as short as possible to make the "Freesync" brand look bad and promote their own "G-Sync" and "G-Sync Ultimate".
                    They do this by making silly requirements like requiring "Freesync on/off" in the monitors OSD to be set to "on" as default. A lot of monitors are automatically disqualified just by that alone even though they work perfectly fine when manually enabled.
                    It makes sense that they would do everything in their power to promote their own brands, but a lot of people seem to miss this point and seem to think that Freesync is worthless because of it, which is just not true.
                    Are there bad Freesync monitors out there? Yes, absolutely, but not as many as you would think by looking at Nvidia's list, but do make sure to do thorough research before buying.
                    Yeah!!! This is the problem with NVIDIA... When they do something good, they also always HAVE to compensate it with something bad!

                    When they decided to support PRIME, it was only for GPU switching, but not something like Optimus.

                    When they decided to support the Wayland ecosystem, they implemented DRM and KMS, but instead of GBM they went for their own EGLStreams stuff.
                    Last edited by tildearrow; 01-30-2019, 04:10 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X