NVIDIA Linux 2008 Year in Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Is it possible then that Nvidia cards cheat, and don't draw every frame? That kind of speed difference could be the result of that.
    It would be only *some* cards. And they'd have to drop a lot of frames to get such a speedup, which would be obviously noticeable.

I read somewhere that NV's DX10-capable chips don't have certain features that X.org used to accelerate 2D performance. Sadly, I can't find that reference anymore.

Remember the Geforce FX times, where not the full screen was antialiased to get some more fps..
    No, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
      I'll quickly summarize what I think in one short sentence. Nvidia, please die. Thanks.
      Lol enjoy your crappy halfbaked FGLRX driver. I love AMD but I'll never buy a ATI card ever again. ATI put Linux on a shelf way too many times before AMD swooped in to mend the rift.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwing Strikes View Post
        Lol enjoy your crappy halfbaked FGLRX driver. I love AMD but I'll never buy a ATI card ever again. ATI put Linux on a shelf way too many times before AMD swooped in to mend the rift.
        But now ATI doesn't exist anymore, so stop holding a grudge against a non-entity.

Nvidia earned all of Linuxdom's loyalty by being an early h/w supporter, but AMD has also been a long-time supporter, and is making a concerted effort to make up for ATI's past sins.

Too bad for AMD that my existing kit (especially after i bumped up to 8GB RAM for only $85) is more than fast enough for my needs.

Comment

Working...
        X