Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedale
    replied
    Interesting. I was a bit afraid by the growing TDP but the consumption seems to be contained. Should i understand that the tests measured the wattage of the whole system and not specifically the card ?

Leave a comment:

• pracedru
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Thank you for supporting the company with questionable policies and limited proprietary drivers which are just a nightmare for developers which don't just develop games.
    i was actually promising my self that I would buy an AMD gfx card next time, because of the driver issue. I was just amazed by the progress, and maybe I got a little carried away.

I am actively developing a CAD program and I have absolutely no problems with developing on a system with a Nvidia gfx card. Developing on Linux and targeting Nvidia has consistently been a pleasure on Linux. I cannot say the same about Radeon/AMD. Nvidia has in fact delivered a professional and consistent platform for both Windows and Linux for a very long time. Their driver is not open source though, and that might be a reason for me to switch to AMD.
    But if Nvidia's midrange/low-end gfx card beats the best of the AMD line.... Well hmm. I'll have to think about it.

Leave a comment:

• johanb
    replied
    Originally posted by pracedru View Post
    Wow... The 2060 is about 75% faster than the 1060.
    That is progress.
    And it matches the 1080 in some games.
    I'm going to buy one of those i think.
    Can you really compare it like that though since it's significantly more expensive than the 1060?

Average price for a 1060 6GB currently is around $270, so
    360/270=1.333...=33% more expensive

Shave off the increased price from the 2060 and you're at 50% faster for the same price.
    Still a great improvement, but price/performance is now only head to head with the 580/590 which in my experience has more reliable Linux drivers.
    If you compare products with the same performance though I guess it's slightly better than a Vega 64 due to better efficiency and value, but the proprietary driver and NVidias anti-competitive behavior is still a flaw so I guess it's a tough choice now instead of a clear winner for AMD.

Leave a comment:

• seesturm
    replied
    Would be really interesting to have tensorflow benchmark results also for Vega.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I'd still rather have a Vega.
    x2, there really is no valid reason for a Linux user to choose nvidia these days.

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied
    The TensorFlow results are impressive. I've been having so much problems with ROCm, I might just get one, just for the compute.

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Originally posted by pracedru View Post
    That is progress.
    Thank you for supporting the company with questionable policies and limited proprietary drivers which are just a nightmare for developers which don't just develop games.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    The performance-per-dollar graphs were the most surprising to me. I don't think this GPU has all that great of a price (considering it's a mainstream model) yet the ppd seems to suggest otherwise.
    My thoughts exactly. Seems like a Vega with better power usage. As a Linux user, KDE Plasma user, & 1080p gamer, Vega is more appealing for my use-case. If I was a Windows user and did 2K or higher for my resolution, I'd prefer RTX over Vega.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    The performance-per-dollar graphs were the most surprising to me. I don't think this GPU has all that great of a price (considering it's a mainstream model) yet the ppd seems to suggest otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• pracedru
    replied
    That is progress.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X