No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Linux Performance From Gaming To TensorFlow & Compute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Linux Performance From Gaming To TensorFlow & Compute

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Linux Performance From Gaming To TensorFlow & Compute

Yesterday NVIDIA kicked off their week at CES by announcing the GeForce RTX 2060, the lowest-cost Turing GPU to date at just $349 USD but aims to deliver around the performance of the previous-generation GeForce GTX 1080. I only received my RTX 2060 yesterday for testing but have been putting it through its paces since and have the initial benchmark results to deliver ranging from the OpenGL/Vulkan Linux gaming performance through various interesting GPU compute workloads. Also, with this testing there are graphics cards tested going back to the GeForce GTX 960 Maxwell for an interesting look at how the NVIDIA Linux GPU performance has evolved.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The Radeon cards weren't tested due to notably hitting some issues with TensorFlow on ROCm 2.0 while also working on more tests there for a future article.http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27373
    What issues did you hit?

Comment

No Darktable? I was actually looking forward to that.

Comment

I'd still rather have a Vega.

Comment

Wow... The 2060 is about 75% faster than the 1060.
          That is progress.
          And it matches the 1080 in some games.
          I'm going to buy one of those i think.

Comment

The performance-per-dollar graphs were the most surprising to me. I don't think this GPU has all that great of a price (considering it's a mainstream model) yet the ppd seems to suggest otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              The performance-per-dollar graphs were the most surprising to me. I don't think this GPU has all that great of a price (considering it's a mainstream model) yet the ppd seems to suggest otherwise.
              My thoughts exactly. Seems like a Vega with better power usage. As a Linux user, KDE Plasma user, & 1080p gamer, Vega is more appealing for my use-case. If I was a Windows user and did 2K or higher for my resolution, I'd prefer RTX over Vega.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                Wow... The 2060 is about 75% faster than the 1060.
                That is progress.
                And it matches the 1080 in some games.
                I'm going to buy one of those i think.
                Thank you for supporting the company with questionable policies and limited proprietary drivers which are just a nightmare for developers which don't just develop games.

Comment

The TensorFlow results are impressive. I've been having so much problems with ROCm, I might just get one, just for the compute.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    I'd still rather have a Vega.
                    x2, there really is no valid reason for a Linux user to choose nvidia these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X