Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's 2018 Linux Highlights Included Some Open-Source Milestones, But Not Many

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's 2018 Linux Highlights Included Some Open-Source Milestones, But Not Many

Phoronix: NVIDIA's 2018 Linux Highlights Included Some Open-Source Milestones, But Not Many

Besides the launch of their successful RTX "Turing" graphics cards, releasing the exciting Jetson AGX Xavier board, and other hardware initiatives, the green giant continued work on their flagship Linux graphics driver that while proprietary continues offering effectively the same feature set and performance as their Windows driver. They did make some open-source surprises this year, but not nearly as many as many in the community would have liked to see...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The elephant in the room is Nvidia's refusal to use upstream kernel driver for their desktop GPUs. Until that will change, it will be plagued by the same issues. Hopefully their Linux market share will continue to fall.
    Last edited by shmerl; 30 December 2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      The elephant in the room is Nvidia's refusal to use upstream kernel driver for their desktop GPUs. Until that will change, it will be plagued by the same issues. Hopefully their Linux market share will continue to fall.
      99% of people couldn't care less that nVidia's driver isn't open source, they just want something that works and works well. Linux desktop market share is so meaningless that nVidia loosing market share there won't bother them.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

99% of people couldn't care less that nVidia's driver isn't open source, they just want something that works and works well.
        And it will never work well, until it's upstreamed. Thus their Linux market share will plummet, that's inevitable. Especially with Intel releasing gaming cards with open drivers. Why should we care about what they think about Windows, it's irrelevant to Linux.

Comment

And it will never work well, until it's upstreamed. Thus their Linux market share will plummet, that's inevitable. Especially with Intel releasing gaming cards with open drivers. Why should we care about what they think about Windows, it's irrelevant to Linux.
          I use nVidia cards on Linux, I have no plans to change what GPUs I buy. I wouldn't be surprised if legal issues is one of the reasons nVidia doesn't open source their driver.

Comment

99% of people couldn't care less that nVidia's driver isn't open source, they just want something that works and works well. Linux desktop market share is so meaningless that nVidia loosing market share there won't bother them.
            99% of the people could not care less that Windows nor macOS aren't open source.

Comment

I use nVidia cards on Linux, I have no plans to change what GPUs I buy. I wouldn't be surprised if legal issues is one of the reasons nVidia doesn't open source their driver.
              if you like binary only stuff you could also simply use Windows or macOS or so, …

Comment

I use nVidia cards on Linux, I have no plans to change what GPUs I buy.
                You might like using broken drivers, but most don't, as you said yourself people prefer what works. See the trend for example here. Nvidia usage is gradually declining and will continue doing so.

Comment

99% of people are idiots. Especially NVidia users. What's new.

Comment

And it will never work well, until it's upstreamed.
                    I have had zero problems with Nvidia drivers (except for rare bugs but I've had way more bugs with free open source drivers for Intel iGPU).

But yeah what to expect from Wayland fanboy, lol. Of course it "doesn't work well" for him then.

Comment

Working...
                    X