No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 180.16 Beta Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 c is well within normal operating temp when the igp is being used.

Comment

Last night they released the 180.11.02, which has complete OpenGL 3.0 support.

Not sure I understand the numbering though....

Comment

Originally posted by debian_user View Post
        In my humble opinion and personal experience, I would recommend that you stay away from mobos with the integrated GeForce 8200 chipset (aka MCP78) at this current time of writing because it takes a lot of fiddling to get them working reasonably. And even still, 2D performance takes 100% hit (on a single core). To get the sound working without popping and crackling, you need to use the latest Linux kernel (2.6.27.9) alongside the latest ALSA base 1.0.18. In terms of distros, I've found that "out-of-the-box" Ubuntu 8.10 configures the sound properly but the 2D/3D graphic performance is shocking and sometimes unplayable at times, even when viewing a Youtube vid. In fact the whole system is incredibly sluggish. Using Debian Lenny (still in testing at this time) I've found the system to be very responsive and I would recommend it above Ubuntu 8.10. However, it does not work properly "out-of-the-box" either and requires a little more work for your rewards. Firstly, to configure the sound properly in Lenny you need to update the ALSA base package from the experimental repository to get the ALSA 1.0.18 version. Then, you need to compile a custom kernel 2.6.27.9. In doing this, you must also compile a compatible NVIDA kernel module from the experiment repository source package (nvidia-kernel-source) to match your custom kernel and also install the experimental nvidia-glx package. The version of the experimental NVIDA source package at this time of writing is 177.80-2, so it does not fix the 100% CPU usage problem. But at least the Debian Lenny system is much faster (how Linux should be) and the sound works fine. I hope my verbose answer helps you.
        is this expected to be better any time soon.. I am a 1st time home user of linux (15 years at work, and spent 80% of my Mac time at a terminal prompt, thought I'd play with linux for a while for HTPC)... all is working pretty well EXCEPT for flash... Acer AX1200, nvidia 8200, I chose Ubuntu 8.10 for no particular reason other than it seems like the easiest out of the box distro.. I found I needed to upgrade to alsa 1.0.18a to get audio via HDMI, and it seemed like I had to upgrade from 177.80 nvidia to 177.82 to get 5.1 sound. I've had no luck with the 180.x drivers (180.11 gives me lots of freezes/crashes).. I'm at wits end... sorry not trying to hijack.. can start a separate thread if that would be better. Have posted at nvnews as well, but this is the 1st place I have seen the 8200 specifically mentioned as the creeping pile of crud that I've been experiencing. At full-screen, I'm lucky to see 2 fps in Flash. I've tried old plugins, and the new ones (10.0 d21) under 32-bit and 64-bit installs.

thanks,
        Mike

Comment

Can someone with a GF8200 MoBo comment whether 512MB VRAM is enough to decode 1080p h264 with VDPAU? On my Asus, I cannot set 512MB without having 2GB RAM installed so I cannot test. But if 512MB is not enough, I would go get a 1GB GF9400 rather than another 1 or 2GB RAM.

Otherwise this is a very nice christmas present from nvidia...

Comment

As I mentioned in the other thread, with the 180.18 driver, only when I try to run it on my external monitor, 1080i video (ts mpeg format, -vc ffmpeg12vdpau) fails to play with error 23 in libvdpau (out of vram). This is on my notebook with 8400M GS, 128MB dedicated and I guess another 128 in turbocache. Note however that it works fine on my laptop internal display. Looks like the external monitor takes up too much vram (its 1680x1050 along with my notebook 1280x800). However, it looks that 512MB should be fine.

I also might add that this could be the case only on 64-bit systems (I am on Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit) and it seems that either 32-bit systems take up less memory or the 32-bit compat libs take up some space in 64-bit.

There is another thing I might add here. When I connect the external display, powermizer is always in level 3, gpu temp's about 56 C. With no external display, the default is level 1, temp being 48 C. With only the external display, it is in level 2 always. Looks like external displays require quite some gpu horsepower.

Comment

Originally posted by bimbo View Post
              Can someone with a GF8200 MoBo comment whether 512MB VRAM is enough to decode 1080p h264 with VDPAU? On my Asus, I cannot set 512MB without having 2GB RAM installed so I cannot test. But if 512MB is not enough, I would go get a 1GB GF9400 rather than another 1 or 2GB RAM.

Otherwise this is a very nice christmas present from nvidia...
              Yes it is. I was just playing with an 8200 a couple of days ago testing out vdpau.

Both NVIDIA's closed-source and open-source drivers can be discussed here.
              Last edited by deanjo; 26 December 2008, 09:57 AM.

Comment

OK, to clarify some of the things I said last post. I just booted into my old 32-bit ubuntu 8.10 after quite some time, and found that video on external monitor has stopped working with 180.18, but used to work with 180.11. So, its about the driver and vdpau version, and not 32-bit vs 64-bit. Secondly, about running out of VRAM, it is ok when I turn off the laptop internal display and run on external display explicitly. Lastly, it might be a mplayer only issue and can be worked around by playing with some code variables as I found browsing through nvnews forums.

The other thing I commented is actually kind of true, that the memory usage in 64-bit linux is almost double that in 32-bit.

Comment

Working...
                X