NVIDIA's Proprietary Linux Driver Might Soon Work On Fedora Silverblue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Proprietary Linux Driver Might Soon Work On Fedora Silverblue

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Proprietary Linux Driver Might Soon Work On Fedora Silverblue

Fedora's Silverblue initiative formerly known as Fedora Atomic Workstation currently doesn't work with the NVIDIA binary driver, but that soon could change...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"doesn't work with the NVIDIA binary driver"? but when I raise concern about a closed source driver on your system people are always like "Jolo", … Don't buy into hardware that requires a closed source driver. You also never know what awesome new, faster, more secure, easier, or prettier open source OS you want to use next year, ..!
    Last edited by rene; 18 December 2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

This should serve as a nice little example of the kinds of problems introduced by opting to purchase NVIDIA (why do they shout their name? :P ) hardware.

If you choose AMD (this is an acronym so it doesn't count as shouting) or Intel graphics hardware, there's a much better chance that you can use all/most GNU/Linux distros without issue. This also means that as time passes and your hardware goes out of sale, you also have more assurance that you will be able to keep using it with modern distros.

If in 2020 you're using an old NVIDIA GPU on the latest Fedora Silverblue release and you get a show-stopping bug, good luck getting NVIDIA to fix it for you. Maybe they will, maybe they wont.

If you don't want to be dependent on NVIDIA, buy AMD or Intel!

Comment

Not a worry for me as I’ve yet to figure out the how’s and why’s of SilverBlue. Fedora needs to put more effort into explaining why I would want this variant. Frankly I’d be happy if some distro someplace would implement an Eclipse install that doesnt end up as a broken piece of crap after your latest system update.

Just saying here. Focus on quality control.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
          If you choose AMD (this is an acronym so it doesn't count as shouting)
          Back when the AMD+ATI merger was still fresh in people's memories, they dubbed the result DAAMIT.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Not a worry for me as I’ve yet to figure out the how’s and why’s of SilverBlue. Fedora needs to put more effort into explaining why I would want this variant. Frankly I’d be happy if some distro someplace would implement an Eclipse install that doesnt end up as a broken piece of crap after your latest system update.

Just saying here. Focus on quality control.
            Here's one reason that may help you: get the flatpak for Eclipse Nightly here: http://eclipse.matbooth.co.uk/flatpa...se.flatpakrepo ... you get a fresh version of eclipse updated daily, it takes no time to install, and it always works. If you did it on silverblue you could update the operating system daily too and not have to worry about breakage.

Comment

Working...
            X