Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender Lands Support For NVIDIA RTX Turing / CUDA 10

Phoronix: Blender Lands Support For NVIDIA RTX Turing / CUDA 10

This week the Blender 3D modeling software finally picked up support for CUDA 10 in order to support the latest NVIDIA RTX "Turing" graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what happened to OpenCL and/or Vulkan...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I wonder what happened to OpenCL and/or Vulkan...
      Nothing. They were never a thing. Except in some FLOSS warriors' wet dreams, of course. As for OpenCL, industry settled with CUDA, years ago. Mostly because AMD produces sub-par GPUs, and NV intentionally makes their GPUs suck at OpenCL.

As for Vulkan, I'm yet to see the point. OS X uses Metal, Windows uses DX12, Xbox uses DX12, PS4 uses GNM. So the regular argument of "but Vulkan is multi-platform" usually boils down to a theoretical random platform + Linux. Which is cool, except for the fact that noone cares about Linux on the desktop, and thus noone really cares about Vulkan either. If enough big names start to take it seriously, it might take off, but I wouldn't take it for granted.
      Last edited by anarki2; 08 December 2018, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        As for Vulkan, I'm yet to see the point. OS X uses Metal/Vulkan (MoltenVK), Windows uses DX12/Vulkan, Xbox uses DX12/maybe Vulkan at some point through a DX12 wrapper, PS4 uses GNM.
        FTFY

Comment

Nothing. They were never a thing. Except in some FLOSS warriors' wet dreams, of course. As for OpenCL, industry settled with CUDA, years ago. Mostly because AMD produces sub-par GPUs, and NV intentionally makes their GPUs suck at OpenCL.
          I'm not a "FLOSS warrior" and yet I can see the existence of OpenCL without submerging into a dream.
          "AMD produces sub-par GPUs" is wrong. In 2017 there was a time they were leading.

As for Vulkan, I'm yet to see the point. OS X uses Metal, Windows uses DX12, Xbox uses DX12, PS4 uses GNM. So the regular argument of "but Vulkan is multi-platform" usually boils down to a theoretical random platform + Linux. Which is cool, except for the fact that noone cares about Linux on the desktop, and thus noone really cares about Vulkan either. If enough big names start to take it seriously, it might take off, but I wouldn't take it for granted.
          And what will Android use? Nothing? Is Android a "theoretical random platform"? Random with 1+ billion users?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            And what will Android use? Nothing? Is Android a "theoretical random platform"? Random with 1+ billion users?
            This is the reason Vulkan is taken seriously. Desktop Linux gets a free ride.

Comment

Impressive, so that is how the mind of a Nvidia fanboy works...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Impressive, so that is how the mind of a Nvidia fanboy works...
                I hate nvidia, but I totally understand and agree with the arguement

Comment

Working...
                X