Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Working On An EGLStreams Back-End For KDE On Wayland

Phoronix: NVIDIA Working On An EGLStreams Back-End For KDE On Wayland

With no recent activity on the NVIDIA-led Unix device memory allocation work that all developer communities could get behind to supersede GBM and EGLStreams for use by Wayland compositors, NVIDIA is working on an EGLStreams back-end for KDE's KWin compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't tell if I'm excited for Nvidia's contribution, or annoyed that it's not a contribution to a common allocater that all GPU's should use.

Comment

If Nvidia commits (and I mean really commits as in taking full ownership and responsibility of this portion) to maintaining the EGLStreams backend for KWin, then I really will hope that the KWin team will accept those patches.

Comment

affect not effect.
        I just want Nvidia's proprietary driver to work on Wayland, I don't care if multi-gpu support comes later.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          I don't care if multi-gpu support comes later.
          As someone with a laptop, I'm always pretty concerned how multi-GPU stuff will work (I wish it would get better than it is today).
          Either it plays nicely, or my machine will exclusively be using the Intel driver - and therefore no second monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

As someone with a laptop, I'm always pretty concerned how multi-GPU stuff will work (I wish it would get better than it is today).
            Either it plays nicely, or my machine will exclusively be using the Intel driver - and therefore no second monitor.
            I am under the impression that Nouveau in its current state is capable of lighting up all of Nvidia's GPUs except the current GTX 20xx series at their factory (i.e.: lowest) clockspeeds, and that DRI_PRIME + Nouveau at least delivers a low-performing but workable solution at this point of time.

Comment

Why no 2nd monitor? Intel driver support multiple monitors ...

Comment

How old is that laptop? Because anything remotely modern has the Intel iGPU connected to all display outputs, and the NVIDIA (or AMD) dedicated GPU run headless as a 3D accelerator. Intel's iGPU does support second monitors fine.

Comment

Woah, is it April 1st already?

Comment

I hope Nvidia is ready for KWin devs to decide to break the interface that EGLstreams depends on, every....single.....release. Thats how open-source singles out and prevents contributions from anyone they have a beef with.

And people claim anyone can contribute to open-source if they bring the code, lol. What a joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X