Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Linux Gaming Benchmarks

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Linux Gaming Benchmarks

Last week following the launch of the RTX 2070 Turing graphics cards, I carried out some initial RTX 2070 compute benchmarks including of TensorFlow and more common OpenCL/CUDA workloads. The GPU compute performance for this $499+ Turing GPU was quite good and especially for INT16 test cases often beating the GTX 1080 Ti. Available now are the Linux gaming benchmarks for the GeForce RTX 2070 compared to an assortment of other NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon graphics cards on Ubuntu 18.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Faster than GTX 1080 every single time. Neat.
    But how did you get the Nvidia drivers to work, they won't load at all on my machine upgraded from 18.04. Purged everything Nvidia, reinstalled, nothing seems to do the trick for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      But how did you get the Nvidia drivers to work, they won't load at all on my machine upgraded from 18.04. Purged everything Nvidia, reinstalled, nothing seems to do the trick for me.
      They work just fine like always on Ubuntu using the .run default driver package... Haven't had any issues on 18.04 or 18.10.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Also more power efficient, and includes tensor cores (though the latter isn't quite as noteworthy). Overall, I'd consider the 2070 a surprisingly well-rounded GPU, at least if you can buy it for its MSRP. I won't be getting one, though. I'd rather buy a used 1080 or 1080Ti.

Comment

Not the same huge upgrade over the previous generation as in the compute benchmarks, but still a pretty decent one. Would look into buying one if I hadn't bought a 1070 Ti in February, but I may look into it at some point later this year when I plan to replace my work machine (unless my boss upgrades the Quadros in his current machine and gives me his old ones).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

They work just fine like always on Ubuntu using the .run default driver package... Haven't had any issues on 18.04 or 18.10.
            I got them from the official repo (and an additional PPA). Seems like either the packagers screwed something up or Nvidia changed something in their installer and didn't tell anyone about it.
            (Before anyone asks, I didn't get the 410 driver from the official repo, that was my attempt at installing 390.)
            Oh well, let's get back on topic.

Comment

Man, if it weren't for the performance-per-dollar graphs, the performance-per-watt ones would make me very sad for AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                Man, if it weren't for the performance-per-dollar graphs, the performance-per-watt ones would make me very sad for AMD.
                To be fair, even the 3rd gen GCN is nearing 2 years old. Meanwhile, Vega is actually pretty power efficient in the APUs and for certain compute tasks. That being said, Vega seems to scale up poorly, which is why the 56 was an overall better choice than the 64, but neither are especially efficient in general.

Comment

I'm quite uneducated in the performance test department, at least with regards to Windows testing sites, but is AMD Vega XX under-performing on Linux, or are they just not very competetive at all?
                  I checked the prices in Sweden and I can get the cheapest 2070 for about $100 USD less than the cheapest Vega 64, but the card is performing better in every of these tests.

So is it the hardware, the driver or the games, or all of the above?

Comment

Once the Mini-ITX version is out, mail me.

Comment

Working...
                    X