Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Phoronix: MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Last month NVIDIA brought PureVideo features to Linux through a new API they call the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix in their NVIDIA 180.xx driver. NVIDIA also provided a set of patches that enabled MPlayer to use this API that offloads video decoding and other tasks to the GPU. The formats supported by VDPAU are currently H.264, MPEG, WMV3, and VC-1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Last month NVIDIA brought PureVideo features to Linux through a new API they call the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix in their NVIDIA 180.xx driver. NVIDIA also provided a set of patches that enabled MPlayer to use this API that offloads video decoding and other tasks to the GPU. The formats supported by VDPAU are currently H.264, MPEG, WMV3, and VC-1...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njg4Ng
    Great news ! too bad I've changed my 8600GT for HD4850, but I hope that 8.12 will bring something similar.

Anyway it's a very good thing for linux community.

Comment

Sad news ... Community decided to implement this and support nvidia blob. That's clear signal for : " we do accept your blob, give it to us and do not care about foolish intel or ati that provides open drivers."

I mean mplayer people should tell nvidia to GTFO with their patches unless they provide an open VDPAU driver. In this case it's even worse because it's the community that coded the support for it.
      Last edited by val-gaav; 29 November 2008, 03:13 PM.

Comment

MythTV rocks

Already new this, but cool to read it on my fovorite news site

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
          Sad news ... Community decided to implement this and support nvidia blob. That's clear signal for : " we do accept your blob, give it to us and do not care about foolish intel or ati that provides open drivers."
          It proves that people prefer working solutions instead of roadmaps and promises.

Comment

I mean mplayer people should tell nvidia to GTFO with their patches unless they provide an open VDPAU driver. In this case it's even worse because it's the community that coded the support for it.
            I don't care it's not open source. I just want it to be free (as in beer) and working good/stable.

Comment

Yeah Free Beer.

I'm just sorry i got suckered into buying a HD4870.

Comment

Nice. Is it possible to use MythTV in some sort of player-only mode? I'm not interested in the media center functionality.

Comment

Sad news ...
                  Waaaaaaaah cry nVidia is providing something the community is not, shame on them. I care more for the 99% vs 1% battle of windows vs linux than the 0.99% vs 0.01% battle between working Linux and broken Linux. Working OSS > Working CSS > Broken OSS any day of the week. If you don't like it, ask bridgman for repo access and get hacking so I can get my working OSS, thankyouverymuch.

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
                    Nice. Is it possible to use MythTV in some sort of player-only mode? I'm not interested in the media center functionality.
                    Yes it is possible to use it with no pvr functions.

Comment

Working...
                    X