MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
    I want to see XvBA working, and dri2 integrated into the proprietary drivers (and timely updates for new xservers/kernels). I also want to see working open-source drivers (with KMS, gem, and dri2, and hopefully video acceleration using extended XvMC or, even better, VAAPI)
    Me too, but while we wait for a few years, I don't really mind using a $50 Nvidia card that already has the fundamentals right...

Comment

Meh - it's a good move by nVidia, and their products are now better in the absence of a proper open-source solution. I prefer Linux technically over Windows, so if I absolutely had to build a htpc with video acceleration Right Now it'd be a Linux+nVidia setup. If I went with Windows and an ATi card that has acceleration in the Windows driver, I'd be financially supporting a company that's trying its best to get a working open-source platform out and helping that along, but still, it'd mean using Windows *shudder*

Comment

deanjo, how? MythTV is quite complicated. I just need a pointer.

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
          You simply don't use or configure the vdr functions.

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
            manual

Wiki-based manual

as said: you only need to configure what you wanna use.

Problems? go here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Community

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              What is ironic?
              Just that we all dumped our NVIDIA cards in favour of ATI so we could get good open support for features like this and then NVIDIA implements it first, albeit in their closed driver. But I guess it isn't all that surprising really, despite being closed, the driver is quite fully featured.

Comment

Well some people missunderstood my comment. I really am not surprised that the average GNU/Linux user may choose nvidia. Sure their driver mostly works, gives best performance etc.

... but I'm surprised that developers pick this up too. They are the ones that should know best that blobs are harmfull to Linux.

Really nvidia is the last one big player that doesn't provide the specs, specs for which devs cried for over the years. Nvidia should be presured to change their stance.

BTW as just users ask yourselfs why is Linux a great stable OS ? Answer is due it's open nature. That's not only because more people can view the code and find bugs. When distros have the source they can nicely put together all those pieces that make what a Linux distro is. Every blob brings up a potential stability danger and takes away the control of how it works from distro. I'm really a pragmatic guy and if I cared for gaming or flawless compositing experience etc. I would go with nvidia myself. That said I would never say that :
                Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                I don't care it's not open source. I just want it to be free (as in beer) and working good/stable.
                because I know that Linux distro is working/good and stable thanks to the open source nature. Put more blobs in it and it all may soon fall apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                  Just that we all dumped our NVIDIA cards in favour of ATI so we could get good open support for features like this and then NVIDIA implements it first, albeit in their closed driver. But I guess it isn't all that surprising really, despite being closed, the driver is quite fully featured.
                  The wise ones didn't. When it comes to big and useful features Nvidia almost always beats everyone else to the punch where as foss and frglx implementations have usually been slow to develop. There seems to be a misconception that foss means faster development which is simply not true.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                    Well some people missunderstood my comment. I really am not surprised that the average GNU/Linux user may choose nvidia. Sure their driver mostly works, gives best performance etc.
                    Not surprising at all, people want to use their shiney new hardware and it's features today and not a couple years down the road. Nvidia traditionally has offered this and shows no sign of stopping.

... but I'm surprised that developers pick this up too. They are the ones that should know best that blobs are harmfull to Linux.
                    Unless you count of course Nvidia's blobs. If it wasn't for their blobs I have no doubt that adoption of linux would be a lot less. The offer working solutions now.

Really nvidia is the last one big player that doesn't provide the specs, specs for which devs cried for over the years. Nvidia should be presured to change their stance.
                    If it isn't broke, don't lets someone else break it.

BTW as just users ask yourselfs why is Linux a great stable OS ? Answer is due it's open nature. That's not only because more people can view the code and find bugs. When distros have the source they can nicely put together all those pieces that make what a Linux distro is. Every blob brings up a potential stability danger and takes away the control of how it works from distro. I'm really a pragmatic guy and if I cared for gaming or flawless compositing experience etc. I would go with nvidia myself. That said I would never say that :

because I know that Linux distro is working/good and stable thanks to the open source nature. Put more blobs in it and it all may soon fall apart.
                    Linux's stable nature does not come from it's opensource nature. That comes from it's great design (linux that is, not X nor other things like audio which is stuck in the dark ages). *nix closed source brethren also enjoy great stability.

The chicken little fud has been around for years and when it comes to Nvidia they have proven otherwise for years. Blobs do not necessarily mean poorly coded or unstable. Good code is good code reguardless of it's closed or open nature.

If there comes a day where nvidia abandons linux and kin then I would agree with opening up the blobs. Until that day comes I'm satisfied with their track record of being able to give what I need as a user.

Comment

I think it's still too early to call this one.

It's great nVidia has opened up VDPAU; I'd love to see a GeForce+VIA Nano platform already! Something based on the GeForce 9 series chipset (aren't those in the works already?) would be badass. Even 8200 or 8300 would be nice, assuming it can do high-bitrate 1080p h.264 (I know it's not needed, but it's good future proofing). At this point, I don't really care about binary vs source, if only because it's not like IGPs with open drivers are any good, and it seems only nVidia is making low-power miniITX-quality IGPs (from what I understand, the 780G is a bit harder to tame. plus, it would be tied to a socketed design).

I'm hoping AMD can get its shit together, and at least get us XvBA for Christmas on the HD3200 and the HD4000 cards, plus open 3D accel like they've been claiming. There's really nothing from nVidia to compete with the HD4000 series... What, the 9600GT or 9800GT? That old GPU?

Comment

Working...
                      X