No announcement yet.

MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..But MythTV uses either Xine, or Mplayer as the actual player by default..

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      You can see what patches were done here.

Comment

Good news to see sane people doing good things.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
          Sad news ...
          its an interesting question but there is the problem with

it just works ...

now this where I struggle, I am no evangelist, I have also parked on a yellow line before - I am trying to build an HTPC and I am trying to use foss as much as possible BUT sometimes a compromise ...

well anyhow I am no ferverent nvidia supporter but I now have the option of

a) waiting for a year (probably) before hd4xxx series amd mobo comes out
          b) waiting for longer (?) for intel to work
          c) to run everything of the cpu
          d) to buy nvidia and go closed source driver

what do you think is the realistic thing to do? energy wise running of the gpu is definitely the best to do, also for noise and heat...

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            Good news to see sane people doing good things.
            Ya for a change it seems that end users are getting what they want rather then developers playing morality games in linux.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              This is completely incorrect. MythTV does NOT use mplayer. MythTV has its own internal player, which is now enabled (and working quite nicely) for VDPAU.

Comment

Heh this is good but I bought an ATI card too. Oh, the irony! I'm sure we'll get a similar thing for ATI cards soon though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                  Heh this is good but I bought an ATI card too. Oh, the irony! I'm sure we'll get a similar thing for ATI cards soon though.
                  What is ironic?

Comment

AMD/ATI really needs to get their act together in the next driver release and provide something along these lines or at least confirm that a working UVD2 solution is really in the pipeline or Nvidia will snatch much of the Linux HTPC momentum, mind share and development for the next few months or so.

C'mon AMD! Publish all that R600/R700 documentation and show people how these features can find their way into the Free drivers anytime soon or it'll be difficult for most off us to see how you could possibly provide a more appealing solution than Nvidia's (given what we are used to have to endure running the fglrx driver).

Comment

ATI needs to get their collective rear in gear, or my next gpu will be nvidia.

ATI has hardware superiority and pricepoint superiority at present (at least, in my price range), but if I can't effective use my card, it matters little. I want to see XvBA working, and dri2 integrated into the proprietary drivers (and timely updates for new xservers/kernels). I also want to see working open-source drivers (with KMS, gem, and dri2, and hopefully video acceleration using extended XvMC or, even better, VAAPI)

Comment

Working...
                      X