Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Publishes An In-Depth Look At Turing

Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes An In-Depth Look At Turing

Next week is when the GeForce RTX 2080 "Turing" graphics cards will begin to ship while today is when NVIDIA lifted the embargo on "unboxing" videos/pictures and talking more about this new GPU microarchitecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn it, they even have something like "Primitive Shaders". I assume that support for merged shader stages will now be integrated into Vulkan and DX. AMD please fix your software support.

Comment

RTX pricing makes these cards a luxury item though. And I doubt that they will start to support the much more affordable Adaptive Sync which would provide much more benefits to me as a customer right now instead of raytracing. No, thank you, Nvidia! You lost me as a customer long time ago. The underinvestment of AMD in new graphics technology makes it really painful these days though. I'd like to fast forward to 2020/2021 where there shold be way more competition in the GPU market and therefore much more competitive pricing!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        I am told by at least one NVIDIA'ian
        NVIDIA'ian? Sounds unusual.

Comment

This is a yawn launch for nvidia. Though I'm sure they'll sell a bunch of cards just because there's a lot of demand for something newer than Pascal.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes An In-Depth Look At Turing
            This is more like "Expanded Marketing Material for the Fanboy press"

Comment

The fun part about these turing cards is that at least half of them will be bought by "reviewers" and "youtubers" for reviews and stuff, and the other half will be bought by game devs trying to experiment. I don't believe Nvidia will produce those gpus in any real capacity since only a miniscule fraction of the gaming community will be willing or able to pay this amount of money... That makes the number of reviewers/youtubers/devs a large portion of the total. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                only a miniscule fraction of the gaming community will be willing or able to pay this amount of money...
                Ohh you'll be surprised. Expect many more record quarters for nvidia coming up. Plus there is a lot of pent-up demand after the miners bought so many cards over the previous 12 months.

I say the same thing about the iPhone... but Apple could charge 4 trillion dollars for one of those and sure enough everyone will be lined up the next day. Then they complain about how they have no money, and capitalism is evil because it makes the rich richer, and the government needs to give us free healthcare because we're living paycheck-to-paycheck and can't afford to buy anything. Mmm hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  I don't believe Nvidia will produce those gpus in any real capacity
                  Didn't you see the Tesla T4 announcement? It features the same TU104 GPUs that power the RTX 2080. The Tesla T4's will sell like hotcakes, due to their Tensor cores, even if demand for the RTX 2080 remains soft.

Comment

Working...
                  X