X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by zaphod_ View Post
    one big pro of these cards (especially for linux) is that the raytracing/tensor cores will be extremely useful for compute. If you do something in the direction of machine learning etc. you are more or less forced to buy an nvidia card.
    if you are nvidiot succumbed to proprietary shit

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
    Never had issues with closed source nvidia drivers. Nouveau was nothing but bugs for me.
    You're not supposed to say that. I can already hear the neckbeards and zealots picking up their pitchforks.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    nvidia is linux-hostile vendor
    that one reason is enough

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Leopard View Post
    Seriously ; Nvidia makes better cards than AMD in general. You can see that even in a minority market like Linux desktop , Nvidia is the majority.
    by that definition ms makes better operating systems. much much better, so what nvidiots are doing here anyway?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Leopard View Post
    Have you ever seen an Nvidia card without drivers for Linux in last 10 years?
    all of them

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
    There is no poor wayland support for nvidia. Its only KDE that is being stubborn
    lol, only kde if you limit list to only kde? how about weston?

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Never had issues with closed source nvidia drivers. Nouveau was nothing but bugs for me.

Leave a comment:

• niner
    replied
    Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    You have to understand though that your point of view is distant enough from that of a typical user, and also you that can't tell others to refrain from talking out their opinions.
    You're almost there. All you need now is to take it one step further and realize, that the same is true for you.

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    My arguments stand perfectly from the point of view of someone that is not kernel programmer and does not want to become one.
    I am also not a kernel programmer and do not want to become one. However 20 years of using Linux on all kinds of systems have taught me that in the long term, open drivers are always better for me as a user than closed ones. That has been true for me in general and especially true for me with Nvidia. The bugs I've reported when I used their graphics cards are all open still to this day. They simply do not care and that is that. There's no other option for me. Except vote with my wallet and going to AMD, where life hasn't been peachy either, but there have always been options. They either fixed the bugs I reported, or I could help myself. And nowadays things just work flawlessly for me. That's 100 % perfection. Not a single issue left. I upgrade to the very latest stable or even development kernel (e.g. to get some btrfs fixes) and the system comes right up and performs. I don't have to do anything. I can just switch to Wayland and things work, like they are supposed to. That's true when my graphics card is long out of date in one computer same as when it's top of the line in another. And that to me is worth far more than a couple of frames per second.

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    Originally posted by rene View Post
    Of course I have "review the code of the kernel and fix bugs and implement new features your self" since 1998 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1YkPtfC4LI&t=160s), I run a whole Linux distribution: https://t2sde.org

With AMD and Intel you can reuse 100% of your code across platforms, ..! ;-)

IMHO when people have other priorities they should refrain from promoting and defending a company, when the system developers clearly say for a long time that this is not acceptable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw
    Ah, I have seen your unboxing video of the Thinkpad 470 :-) Anyway, like I said, your priorities are such that the availability of the driver code is of great value for you. You have to understand though that your point of view is distant enough from that of a typical user, and also you that can't tell others to refrain from talking out their opinions. My arguments stand perfectly from the point of view of someone that is not kernel programmer and does not want to become one. To me a graphics card product is a bundle of hardware (the card) and software (the driver). I don't need to know the actual code of the driver pretty much as I don't need to know the actual design of chip. All I care about is that these 2 components of the product implement certain interfaces (e.g. PCI for the card, OpenGL for the driver, a GUI panel for me) so that they can plug seamlessly into the system and that these interfaces work reliably and optimally. That holds of course as long as the manufacturer takes the responsibility of supporting these components, e.g. Nvidia maintaining their driver so that it works correctly with the operating systems that they support, which for me is what should be happening since they know their product design better than anyone else and of course have the insensitive to keep their customer base satisfied.
    Last edited by zoomblab; 06 September 2018, 05:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I think Rene likes to run various vintage hardware also on various CPU architectures, so for him something like drivers being opensource is essential.

There are people who run Radeons with opensource driver on else than x86 arches, where nvidia blob or whatever just blobby blobs can't work of course
    I also run state of the art hardware for my daily business (https://exactcode.com) but I can not film my daily contract and product work for obvious reasons. Back in the day when my Apple G5 was new and state of the art, and I only purchased it for Linux PowerPC development, I choose the cheapest, entry level Nvidia 6600LE crap knowing I will not be able to use any kind of graphic acceleration for years to come. I believe I run it a year with an unaccelerated frame buffer, until basic 2d acceleration was reverse engineered or something like that. Would I have nvidia GPUs in the cloud infrastructure we work with? Hell NO! PS: Ironically I will soon continue hacking on the PS3/RSX driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIm2pMXS5Q4 - would it not be nice to have the SPEC for that? ;-) I actually recorded the last S3/Trio/Virge video just for the gpu driver development education, and establishing some terms and information as instalment for next months PS3 hacking, ..!
    Last edited by rene; 06 September 2018, 04:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X