10 Reasons Linux Gamers Might Want To Pass On The NVIDIA RTX 20 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    You have to understand though that your point of view is distant enough from that of a typical user, and also you that can't tell others to refrain from talking out their opinions.
    You're almost there. All you need now is to take it one step further and realize, that the same is true for you.

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    My arguments stand perfectly from the point of view of someone that is not kernel programmer and does not want to become one.
    I am also not a kernel programmer and do not want to become one. However 20 years of using Linux on all kinds of systems have taught me that in the long term, open drivers are always better for me as a user than closed ones. That has been true for me in general and especially true for me with Nvidia. The bugs I've reported when I used their graphics cards are all open still to this day. They simply do not care and that is that. There's no other option for me. Except vote with my wallet and going to AMD, where life hasn't been peachy either, but there have always been options. They either fixed the bugs I reported, or I could help myself. And nowadays things just work flawlessly for me. That's 100 % perfection. Not a single issue left. I upgrade to the very latest stable or even development kernel (e.g. to get some btrfs fixes) and the system comes right up and performs. I don't have to do anything. I can just switch to Wayland and things work, like they are supposed to. That's true when my graphics card is long out of date in one computer same as when it's top of the line in another. And that to me is worth far more than a couple of frames per second.

Comment

Never had issues with closed source nvidia drivers. Nouveau was nothing but bugs for me.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        There is no poor wayland support for nvidia. Its only KDE that is being stubborn
        lol, only kde if you limit list to only kde? how about weston?

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
          Have you ever seen an Nvidia card without drivers for Linux in last 10 years?
          all of them

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
            Seriously ; Nvidia makes better cards than AMD in general. You can see that even in a minority market like Linux desktop , Nvidia is the majority.
            by that definition ms makes better operating systems. much much better, so what nvidiots are doing here anyway?

Comment

nvidia is linux-hostile vendor
              that one reason is enough

Comment

Never had issues with closed source nvidia drivers. Nouveau was nothing but bugs for me.
                You're not supposed to say that. I can already hear the neckbeards and zealots picking up their pitchforks.

Comment

Originally posted by zaphod_ View Post
                  one big pro of these cards (especially for linux) is that the raytracing/tensor cores will be extremely useful for compute. If you do something in the direction of machine learning etc. you are more or less forced to buy an nvidia card.
                  if you are nvidiot succumbed to proprietary shit

Comment

Never had issues with closed source nvidia drivers.
                    because nvidiots think shitty behavior is normal. in reality it is not https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...29#post1045329
                    Nouveau was nothing but bugs for me.
                    you can blame nvidia for that. mesa driver for amd hardware is better than both nouveau and nvidia proprietary shit

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                      are there problems with nouveau besides that?
                      well, that is one of the reasons why nouveau is undermanned, so it lacks development in general, including in making it less buggy

Comment

Working...
                      X