Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rene View Post
    blah blah blah
    Apparently you don't even understand the concept of beating a dead horse...

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

While this is true, there is a second reason for the high prices: The absurdly large die. This is due to all the new fixed function units for ray tracing and tensor cores. If you look up the figures for classic CUDA cores and then the number of transistors, it will become clear that the new chips are pretty big to accomodate the hardware functionality very vew people will use as of right now.
      Not only that. The cost of designing new chips becomes higher with each new smaller process: https://electroiq.com/wp-content/upl...-ups-Fig-4.png

Comment

I agree with every point Michael made.

Comment

AMD and Intel publish register specifications - what is dead about them? Now I guess you probably mean the S3/Virge card in the video. This was to proof a point; namely that it was not always so secretive, and what silly nonsense this secrecy is, we are talking about register level hardware description. When you watch this video carefully, you should realise how silly it is that Nvidia considers this trade secret: shuffling coordinates and textures into the GPU to render them. Absolutely horrendous nonsense that nobody should accept. Apparently you did not understand the concept of educational videos and making a point. What if Intel would behave like this? Nobody but Microsoft could program an operating system? Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

AMD isn't THAT far behind.
            Maybe not on paper, but the market forces say otherwise. The price nvidia dares to ask for these new cards says a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
              TL DR: Michael couldn't get the card so he is pissed.

Joking aside ; i'm sure these cards will be supported on Linux. How can you come up with something ridicilous like that? Have you ever seen an Nvidia card without drivers for Linux in last 10 years?

About ray tracing ; that is just a marketing tool. Ray tracing will be very limited and uneffective even on Windows in upcoming 2 years.

About Wayland ; c'mon. You can't even use Wayland on AMD/Intel too. Wayland has ways to go for being an alternative to good, old X.

Seriously ; Nvidia makes better cards than AMD in general. You can see that even in a minority market like Linux desktop , Nvidia is the majority.
              You failed to address any of points he made. He did not protect AMD either.
              While Wayland may not be ready for mass consumption, Nvidia is not helping with it.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

AMD isn't THAT far behind.
                which means Nvidia is far before. And common denominator is money. I wont spend K of euro on video card EVEN if i can afford it. Very a few games will take advantage of it.

Comment

There is no open-source Turing support today and even if there was it will likely be plagued by the same Maxwell2/Pascal limitations of no re-clocking support -- meaning the GPU on the open-source driver is stuck to performing at the very low clock frequencies programmed by the hardware at boot/initialization time
                  That made me wonder, if I don't want to game in Linux (I boot into Windows for that, currently using my Intel GPU with Linux and NVidia with Windows), are there problems with nouveau besides that? Even at extremely low clock frequency a 2080 Ti should be able to handle Desktop use, right?

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                    That made me wonder, if I don't want to game in Linux (I boot into Windows for that, currently using my Intel GPU with Linux and NVidia with Windows), are there problems with nouveau besides that? Even at extremely low clock frequency a 2080 Ti should be able to handle Desktop use, right?
                    I'm not too sure how nouveau works with Pascal hardware, but for Maxwell and older, usually the worst-case scenario is poor or lacking power management. So you might be stuck running your GPU at low clock speeds, but otherwise the performance-per-clock is decent. So yes, if nouveau can properly talk to a 2080Ti, it should be perfectly fine for everyday desktop use.

Comment

The 2080Ti is only %35 faster then the 1080Ti which I think is shameful given its starting price is at $1899AUD or $1199USD (going to increase with tariffs). For that price I'd expect at least %100 faster!

And if we do a little logic, we can expect the 2080GTX to be around the 1080ti performance level, but have less VRAM and cost a good $200usd more.... Who here is really going to downgrade to 1080p to play with ray tracing enabled? not many I suspect.

Comment

Working...
                      X