No announcement yet.

10 Reasons Linux Gamers Might Want To Pass On The NVIDIA RTX 20 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an owner of an nVidia gpu I can add more reasons why Linux gamers should pass on nVidia alltogether, not just the RTX series. Can't wait for a gaming laptop with AMD or Intel discrete gpu.

Comment

one big pro of these cards (especially for linux) is that the raytracing/tensor cores will be extremely useful for compute. If you do something in the direction of machine learning etc. you are more or less forced to buy an nvidia card.

Even if there should be a 7nm vega with equivalent cores at the end of this year, there currently is no software support (unfortunately...) in sight which can compete with cudnn/cublas. I know of rocm and i believe that an open approach is the right direction, but any benchmark i have seen showed that the performance was still not there

Comment

1) don't care with this card.
        2) the vast majority of windows games will ignore RT as well.
        3) there's more to these cards than just primitive RT helpers. Most people will buy them because they're going to be faster in existing titles than their previous gen counterpart.
        4) then keep your 1080ti / vega64 cards?
        5) still true for the 1080ti, what's your point?
        6) they'll have release day support, as they did with all the previous generations
        7) that's what you can do when your competitors aren't competing in the same league any more.
        8) dito for crossfire, what's your point? Are these things even used in new titles any more?
        9) still true if you buy a cheap Radeon R5 230
        10) was also true when the 1000 series replaced the 900.

The whole article is more like a personal rant after noone sent you a free sample?

Comment

RTX's main selling point is about ray tracing and that's why it sucks because while it does do ray tracing a lot faster than others it's not there yet performance wise because ray tracing is a performance hog and you can do it but with serious limitations and tricks, I'd wait for 1 or 2 generations after RTX.
          And don't get me wrong I am a fan of ray tracing, I hope it's the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
            1) don't care with this card.

7) that's what you can do when your competitors aren't competing in the same league any more.

The whole article is more like a personal rant after noone sent you a free sample?
            AMD isn't THAT far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
              There is no poor wayland support for nvidia. Its only KDE that is being stubborn. Secondly SLI has always been worthless. Theres a better way to use multiple cards.
              It's not just KDE, there are other devs refusing to support 2 paths, for example the Sway devs.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                The argument about the price – that's what you get when there's little competition in a market. I mean Vega was a good effort but obviously not enough.

Look at what happened with Intel after AMD picked up their CPU game. You finally have cheaper Intel CPUs with more 6 and 8 core options.
                The same way that this is what you get when people buy one brand, no matter what.
                There was a time when AMD would wipe the floor with nvidia's ass. Even so, people bought the crappy (at the time) nvidi cards in droves.
                Now people get what they voted with their wallets for.

But there's hope.
                Right now, there's no sense in AMD wasting money trying to compete with a brand that's going to win even if AMD is better.
                Maybe when nvidia increase the prices to even more ridiculous values, after years of domination...

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
                  About Wayland ; c'mon. You can't even use Wayland on AMD/Intel too. Wayland has ways to go for being an alternative to good, old X.
                  But you can. Or at least I can. It works just fine for me on multiple computers. Mixed set of AMD and Intel hardware.

Comment

The VR linux supports did not improved since December? (the linked article was written at that time)

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
                      Seriously ; Nvidia makes better cards than AMD in general. You can see that even in a minority market like Linux desktop , Nvidia is the majority.
                      I see at least 2 reasons why:
                      1/ you need time to change a trend (the improvement of the AMD linux driver and the AMD graphic chips are still recent)
                      2/ Cuda is the de facto standard for GPGPU (that is actually why i bought a nvidia-based laptop)

Comment

Working...
                      X