X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rene
    replied
    Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

I am sorry to say that you are either clueless on software development, something which I doubt based on your videos, or a blind dogmatic zealot.

Educate yourself https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_reuse.
    Just for clueless trumps like you, I wrote a blog post – wanted to do for some time, now it is out: https://rene.rebe.de/2018-09-07/resi...lly-for-linux/ just if my G5/PowerPC point & use-case was not enough, ..! But oh well, I have totally no clue nor insight, ..:-/ https://t2sde.org
    Last edited by rene; 07 September 2018, 05:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    Originally posted by rene View Post
    code reuse is exactly what open source is about, and no, we do not want nvidia's reused and closed Windows code.
    I am sorry to say that you are either clueless on software development, something which I doubt based on your videos, or a blind dogmatic zealot.

Educate yourself https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_reuse.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied

I wouldn't answer to you troll but I will do only for this. The reuse of existing code is a hard accomplished virtue and an indication of a) good practices b) good management c) good architecture d) sane people at the helm. The benefits of code reuse, especially of code that is proven to be of good quality, are well known. Some of them are a) not reinventing the wheel b) improved quality through using proven and tested components c) decreased cost by leveraging existing components and libraries.

Now I can say, exaggerating a bit, that what AMD is doing is the opposite of all these.
    code reuse is exactly what open source is about, and no, we do not want nvidia's reused and closed Windows code.

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    since when doing layers of kludges around windows blob is a good architecture? looks like you develop shitty software for a living
    I wouldn't answer to you troll but I will do only for this. The reuse of existing code is a hard accomplished virtue and an indication of a) good practices b) good management c) good architecture d) sane people at the helm. The benefits of code reuse, especially of code that is proven to be of good quality, are well known. Some of them are a) not reinventing the wheel b) improved quality through using proven and tested components c) decreased cost by leveraging existing components and libraries.

Now I can say, exaggerating a bit, that what AMD is doing is the opposite of all these.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    I wonder if NVIDIA doesn't want open source drivers because then they couldn't cheat on image quality and get away with it.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied
    Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
    Never had issues with closed source nvidia drivers. Nouveau was nothing but bugs for me.
    I also have "no issues" with it, the x86 binary would simply not run on my PowerPC hardware ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU1RK4TR-GA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxaR2dkUpLI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIm2pMXS5Q4
    Last edited by rene; 06 September 2018, 08:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    According to whom?
    me
    Since when are your priorities everyone's?
    i didn't say everyone, we were discussing developers. it is hard to develop without sources
    Except... when games are properly ported, they often run faster in Linux.
    just as i said, usually they are not properly ported and thus run slower on linux
    I'm pretty sure his point was Linux's performance is overall superior when things are made properly, which certainly isn't wrong.
    "things are made properly" includes open drivers

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    I'm not zoomblab but...:
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you seem to be very lousy developer. opensource is the main reason for choosing platform for developer.
    According to whom? Since when are your priorities everyone's? Open source is a main attraction to Linux, but it's not the main reason to choose a platform in general. There are plenty of technical reasons why someone would prefer one platform over another, regardless of it being open source.
    if you value performance, you already failed. game will usually have better performance on windows, because it was developed on windows and ported to linux with some translation layer. which brings us to the next point
    Except... when games are properly ported, they often run faster in Linux. I'm pretty sure his point was Linux's performance is overall superior when things are made properly, which certainly isn't wrong.
    since when doing layers of kludges around windows blob is a good architecture? looks like you develop shitty software for a living
    Though I don't agree with zoomblab's point, that's obviously not what he was implying, either.

Leave a comment:

• DavidKL
    replied
    I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia is incentivized to keep their Linux experience subpar in order to please MS enough to support whatever things they ask for, like RT support in DX. Much hay has been made of the fact that MS quickly adopted support for RT in DX, unlike its response to AMD's inclusion of the first consumer tessellator.

Linux with Vulcan (and OpenGL for certain uses) has made DX unnecessary, as well as the consoles. A unified x86 software layer to go with the industry-standard unified x86 hardware layer makes sense. It makes very little sense to pay the MS tax and the Sony + MS tax.

All a console is these days is a form factor, a case. ITX has made that irrelevant. There should be more players in the "console" market, since it should simply be x86 hardware with x86 software.

additional thought (edit): It's no surprise for MS to enthusiastically add RT to DX. It is a way to create a technical wedge between the so-called console and the "PC" gaming platform. There is currently nothing technical about the "console" to justify its existence. An ITX PC can do the same thing a so-called console can, especially if the build quality is made for a console-style usage model (i.e. capable of withstanding kids and being easy to use). If PC gaming moves heavily toward ray tracing and consoles don't (for some time), that can be used by Nvidia to justify the high pricing of the "PC" gaming GPUs. RT in DX may also be a way to add distance between DX and Vulkan, to try to justify DX's continued existence.
    Last edited by DavidKL; 06 September 2018, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    I develop software for a living and I use Linux exclusively simply because it is the best unix like system available. Open source for me is like a gift and an extra.
    you seem to be very lousy developer. opensource is the main reason for choosing platform for developer.
    If I get my tools to be open source then great but my priorities have higher value for reliability, performance
    if you value performance, you already failed. game will usually have better performance on windows, because it was developed on windows and ported to linux with some translation layer. which brings us to the next point
    and as a programmer also proper architecture. Nvidia products excel at these values.
    When I know that Nvidia can reuse 90% of their code across platforms that they have built with their best developers and battle tested
    you can't battle test linux kernel module on windows

Leave a comment:

Working...
X