Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 396.54.02 Vulkan Beta Driver Brings Some Fixes For DXVK

Phoronix: NVIDIA 396.54.02 Vulkan Beta Driver Brings Some Fixes For DXVK

NVIDIA today released new Vulkan beta drivers in the form of v399.17 for Windows and v396.54.02 for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those who were confused like me that just got an NVIDIA card: I think the best way to install the drivers if you're on Ubuntu/debian is through ppa:graphics-drivers. For some reason, you're told to do $ sudo apt install nvidia-396 which doesn't work. It's actually $ sudo apt install nvidia-driver-396. If you need CUDA support, $ sudo apt install nvidia-cuda-toolkit. Shouldn't need anything from NVIDIA's website as far as I can tell.

I thought it was going to be an easy transition, but stupid things like that trip you up along the way.

Also, my computer lags now when I'm mining ether on my GTX 1080 (36MH/s, was getting 27MH/s on the RX). This never happened with my RX 480. Does anyone know what the hell gives? I'm using CUDA, and on AMD I was using OpenCL 2.1 (AMDGPU-PRO and/or ROCm). Really disappointed by this. Tried everything to remedy it but to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      For those who were confused like me that just got an NVIDIA card: I think the best way to install the drivers if you're on Ubuntu/debian is through ppa:graphics-drivers. For some reason, you're told to do $ sudo apt install nvidia-396 which doesn't work. It's actually $ sudo apt install nvidia-driver-396. If you need CUDA support, $ sudo apt install nvidia-cuda-toolkit. Shouldn't need anything from NVIDIA's website as far as I can tell.

I thought it was going to be an easy transition, but stupid things like that trip you up along the way.

Also, my computer lags now when I'm mining ether on my GTX 1080 (36MH/s, was getting 27MH/s on the RX). This never happened with my RX 480. Does anyone know what the hell gives? I'm using CUDA, and on AMD I was using OpenCL 2.1 (AMDGPU-PRO and/or ROCm). Really disappointed by this. Tried everything to remedy it but to no avail.
      Linux is easy, LOL.

As for you lagginess issue - I'm not sure there are any workarounds for Linux. In Windows, disabling Aero and HW acceleration in Firefox help. Also, try using Chrome while you're mining - some people say it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Linux is easy, LOL.

As for you lagginess issue - I'm not sure there are any workarounds for Linux. In Windows, disabling Aero and HW acceleration in Firefox help. Also, try using Chrome while you're mining - some people say it helps.
        Haha, still learning everyday. Been using full-time since 2014. I just keep personalizing and automating something everyday until things are "perfect." (I've been getting better at note-taking and making backups to prevent having to do something again)

Before Linux, it was Mac for about 5 years, then Windows (does anyone remember phat linux?? it was for the wussies like me on Windows who were afraid to partition their family pc), and then Apple IIc when I was growing up. We grew up during the best times imo. /tangent

Anyway, this lagginess is strange. AMD figured it out, not sure why NVIDIA can't with CUDA. Why would it lag my computer at all? It's GPU-intensive, not CPU. All those freaking CUDA cores and we can't preserve a couple for smooth UI? I'm not trying to retire on mining ether casually on my desktop, it's the principle of the matter. There shouldn't be any lag. Or maybe AMD just spoiled me.

Also if I change from CUDA to OpenCL, then the CPU gets pegged at 100%, so situation becomes worse. Changing back to CUDA fixes that, but still has the lag. I made this gif to illustrate but doesn't really give it justice. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Comment

I suppose the Nvidia driver is priotizing cuda apps over anything else in a really harsh manner.
          Also, it seems to be quite terrible in sharing GPU recources between processes in general. I often just need to have more than one tab opened at the same time in Firefox and they make each other stutter. That wasn't the case with my RX 560.

Comment

F@H makes my Nvidia card stutter too, I doubt the Nvidia GPU scheduler is very complex. You'd think this would affect cloud GPU users, but perhaps not.

Comment

Ok glad I'm not the only one. You're right, I forgot about the stuttering. That's different than the perceivable lag. I also get completely locked up on occasion and can't move my mouse. AND I forgot to mention that Sublime Text comes to a screeching halt when I start it up, and that app is always blazing fast and I'm in it often. Frustrating. I will reply with an answer if I figure anything out. For now, we can use this as a venting session.

I'd like to mention again I experienced _zero_ of the above with my AMD RX 480 and it sounds like I'm not alone on that either. You don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

Comment

I see the windows driver is receiving HDR related extentions. What is the state of HDR support on Linux ?

Comment

Ok glad I'm not the only one. You're right, I forgot about the stuttering. That's different than the perceivable lag. I also get completely locked up on occasion and can't move my mouse. AND I forgot to mention that Sublime Text comes to a screeching halt when I start it up, and that app is always blazing fast and I'm in it often. Frustrating. I will reply with an answer if I figure anything out. For now, we can use this as a venting session.

I'd like to mention again I experienced _zero_ of the above with my AMD RX 480 and it sounds like I'm not alone on that either. You don't know what you got 'til it's gone.
                  AMD for mining , Nvidia for gaming.

Comment

...the best way to install the drivers if you're on Ubuntu/debian is through ppa:graphics-drivers. For some reason, you're told to do $ sudo apt install nvidia-396 which doesn't work. It's actually $ sudo apt install nvidia-driver-396.
                    Yes, that page could be a bit clearer about how and what to install. If you click through to look at the individual packages, there should be a "metapackage" shown that's the one you want to install. its dependencies are set to pull in everything that's needed. E.g., "nvidia-driver-396". It also shows up in "Additional Drivers" after you update.

Comment

Working...
                    X