No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Unveils The GeForce RTX 20 Series, Linux Benchmarks Should Be Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet people who want 100% ray-tracing are fine with something horrid like 30 fps or even below. You know some of us can't even game on that. 60 is pushing the lower limit.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      Claiming that Nvidia wasted a year in building a high throughput compute core is just a severe lack of insight.
      Why? The more general compute a core is, the less optimized it is for pushing polygons. And it's not just cores. It's those huge and fast RAM chips as well. There's no free launch in silicon and using such high-end components to push textures at an age where most users don't even own anything better than 1440p might end up being their undoing.

Besides, AMD was quite busy doing console graphics for a few month there so while I have no insiders knowledge, I do feel they have over 50/50 to get better results than Nvidia in the near future.

But hey, it's all just guesstimates so no harm no foul, right?

Comment

I do not like how it looks, the aesthetics are awful, and the RTX name? ewww. Looks like riced out honda with autozone parts.

Comment

I think I'm gonna have to pick up a 2070 Founder's Edition. She's a beaut.

Sent from my RX 480

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I wonder how will AMD fight this
            Vega 64 has almost the same raw 32-bit TFLOPS as the 2080ti, and is much cheaper.

Actually, I'm wondering if this launch, considering the pricing, isn't actually good for AMD. Some Vega 64s are running at around 500 USD on Amazon right now which is a steal. Not to mention 580s which are at 250 area now.
            Last edited by vegabook; 21 August 2018, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

Vega 64 has almost the same raw 32-bit TFLOPS as the 2080ti, and is much cheaper.

Actually, I'm wondering if this launch, considering the pricing, isn't actually good for AMD. Some Vega 64s are running at around 500 USD on Amazon right now which is a steal. Not to mention 580s which are at 250 area now.
              Now I really really want AMD to release Vega 20 with 20 TFLOPS

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                ^ This. Here in 2018, there is no reason for any self-respecting Linux geek to consider Nvidia.
                I agree completely. My fury card was my best buy ever...not a single problem, everything I use it for just works.

I'll never go back to Nvidia and their proprietary problems.

Comment

as someone who compiles all the software I use (Gentoo), and someone who appreciates Open Source and the GPL, I have to say I don't think I will ever oblige NVIDIA on the Linux platform unless they stop being like they are and offer competitive open source alternatives. There are plenty of reasons to want to have an open source graphics driver, even if it has issues keeping up with the windows proprietary variant.

That said, I fully expect AMD to have a cost effective graphics chip that is very competitive with the 2080TI in terms of compute/graphics performance (not ray tracing) early next year, just by going to TSMC the process node will be superior to GloFo's and with the die shrink/new process, I expect big things until Nvidia upsets with it's new offering, probably next year too. If I were most people, I would ignore the 2080 graphics cards, they are new, and probably will be seriously outdated when 7nm and AMD come around, next year.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    I am waiting for Navi myself. Been an AMD certified fanboi for more than a decade, and now that AMD supports open source, there is no alternative. LOL.
                    True, i think Intel will be more of a competitor in the open source world once they launch their dedicated GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Claiming that Nvidia wasted a year in building a high throughput compute core is just a severe lack of insight.
                      The new dies are pretty big, especially the 2080 Ti. The costs for the large dies are getting more and more expensive as the the production processes get smaller. It's reflected in the costs of the cards. They are really only getting away with it because some people think, due to brainwashing, there is no other option.

I'm surprised we aren't starting to see chiplets in GPUs on AMDs end, but who knows what's coming.

Comment

Working...
                      X