NVIDIA Unveils The GeForce RTX 20 Series, Linux Benchmarks Should Be Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Unveils The GeForce RTX 20 Series, Linux Benchmarks Should Be Coming

Phoronix: NVIIDA Unveils The GeForce RTX 20 Series, Linux Benchmarks Should Be Coming

NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang has just announced the GeForce RTX 2080 series from his keynote ahead of Gamescom 2018 this week in Cologne, Germany...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The RTX 2080 Ti has a 260 Watt graphics card
    Graphics card inception!

Comment

I wonder how will AMD fight this

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I'd wait for benchmarks before getting too excited. All of the references to performance were RTX OPS, keeping in mind none of the earlier cards natively support RTX the gains might not be that impressive outside of RTX.

Comment

< Insert Torvalds Bird . JPG >

Comment

AMD has more time to adjust to the cryptomining industry switching to ASIC so assuming they're not too busy with Ryzen, they should fair quite better than Nvidia which just wasted nearly a year on graphics cores that can also do compute for a non-existing market.

Well, that's assuming AMD haven't been chasing the wind as well... Regardless, they'll get my money since their drivers are FOSS anyhow.

Comment

Probably by rebranding Polaris for the 3rd time, and flooding the market with cheap mining cards. It worked once already.

Comment

nVidia has become too comfortable with the marked up margins possible due to mining it would seem. Looking back at the MSRP of the 1080 and 1080 Ti, we see that the generational price increase for the 1080 -> 2080 is +250 and the increase for the 1080 Ti -> 2080 Ti is +300.

Who here remembers the good old days when nVidia launched their halo part--the original Titan--at 1000 dollars and it seemed absurd? Now the top end mainstream parts are there.

Comment

Fight what? It is not as impressive as it sounds on paper. I don't expect it to be really that much better than existing cards for most games, and for compute, it is an improvement but the theoretical numbers are misleading.

I am waiting for Navi myself. Been an AMD certified fanboi for more than a decade, and now that AMD supports open source, there is no alternative. LOL.

Comment

Pricing is ridiculous. Especially in Europe. 649€ for a cut-down mid-class GPU (hint: ~615 US$, without taxes)

Navi can't come soon enough...
                    Last edited by juno; 20 August 2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X