Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 180.08 Beta Driver Adds In OpenGL 3.0

Phoronix: NVIDIA 180.08 Beta Driver Adds In OpenGL 3.0

Less than a week after releasing the NVIDIA 180.06 Linux display driver, NVIDIA has released a new set of beta drivers for their supported alternative operating systems. NVIDIA has released the 180.08 driver, which adds in OpenGL 3.0 support and contains fixes for their new video acceleration API.Late last month NVIDIA had released a beta OpenGL 3.0 Linux driver that was based upon an earlier code branch, but the 180.06 release was missing this support for OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

my oh my , screams through gtkperf on my dell vostro 1400 notebook with nv 8400m gs and 1.4ghz core2duo (t5270) in 136 seconds :
    GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Tue Nov 18 09:39:11 2008

GtkEntry - time: 1.13
    GtkComboBox - time: 17.17
    GtkComboBoxEntry - time: 11.32
    GtkSpinButton - time: 3.22
    GtkProgressBar - time: 2.60
    GtkToggleButton - time: 3.56
    GtkCheckButton - time: 0.95
    GtkRadioButton - time: 2.94
    GtkTextView - Add text - time: 59.95
    GtkTextView - Scroll - time: 8.60
    GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time: 5.33
    GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time: 8.32
    GtkDrawingArea - Text - time: 9.99
    GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time: 0.77
    ---
    Total time: 135.87
    edit : there seems to be a little bit of a performance drop in doom3 'timedemo demo1 usecache' with avg being 49fps compared to 60fps earlier with 177 (high quality, 800x600).
    Last edited by hdas; 18 November 2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

So with 2 Beta releases Nvidia now has hardware accelerated video playback and OpenGL 3, while AMD has ... hmm ... oh yeah video tearing.

I really hope that the open-source ATI drivers reach a more mature point until the next Ubunt version is released (my Distro of choice) and that we have things like KMS and DRI2 implemented. So I can finally ditch the propietary fglrx driver. As I don't game in Linux the thing I really care about is stability, good video playback, Compiz support (AIGLX) and decent Compiz performance.

Comment

lol lets get the facts: NVIDIA vs AMD 3 0

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
          lol lets get the facts: NVIDIA vs AMD 3 0
          I prefer 3 x 1, since AMD scored a point releasing their documentation...

Comment

Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
            I prefer 3 x 1, since AMD scored a point releasing their documentation...
            ok, lets do a 0,5 since their documentation is totally incomplete.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              ok, lets do a 0,5 since their documentation is totally incomplete.
              lol

But seriously, I thought I would be better using intel because of it's supposed commitment of the company with Linux, but I'm very disappointed with it.. it's slow and it lacks features.. I think the video it's the worst part on Linux right now, maybe even worse then office suites (i hate OpenOffice and Sun's anti-open attitude)

I really hope I can use all that nice stuff that people are talking about like DRI2, kernel mode setting and others before, well, the end of the world, before I get kids, or before I get thirty and get bored with computers... you know, that kind of stuff

Comment

Just Wondering if there is a point to upgrading to the new 180 beta drivers? I'm currently using 173 out of fear and laziness and want to know if there are any tangible advantages/glitches in the upgrade. Ubuntu 8.04 2.6.24-21-generic Geforce 9600GT with dual 1280x1024 monitors and Compiz.

Also, on the side I'm having some overheating issues on my AsusC90s laptop when playing back .avi and DVD video (not experiencing the problems with embedded flash playback ex: hulu.com) and wanted to know if a driver change would have any effect, the laptop is running Intrepid 8.10 with Compiz hdmi out to my plasma TV from mobile Geforce 8600.
                Last edited by JackDanielz; 18 November 2008, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I'm not satisfied with the performance on Nvidia linux drivers on this generation, my 8800GT is slower than in windows and my gtx280 is even worse (it performs better than the 8800GT obviously, but with more penalty compared to windows).

Comment

I'm extremely happy with these drivers on my 8800GT's the only exeption is a memory leak when used with Thunderbird for some reason. Other then that, near perfect.. Performance in games is on par with Windows so I can't complain.

Comment

Working...
                    X