Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Work On Adding Ray-Tracing To Vulkan

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Work On Adding Ray-Tracing To Vulkan

2018 appears to be the year of ray-tracing with the major hardware vendors, game engines, and others all working on modern ray-tracing efforts with the GPUs becoming powerful enough to handle this alternative to rasterized rendering, etc. While Microsoft has out the DirectX Raytracing API for D3D12, NVIDIA has been working on extending Vulkan to also suit ray-tracing use-cases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This work is interesting, especially alongside the open-source Radeon ProRender also built atop Vulkan. An open-source implementation of a ray-tracing API as well as sensible hooks into the API when implemented using vendor extensions makes a powerful duo.
    Summary In this blog post we are announcing the open-source availability of the Radeon™ ProRender renderer, an implementation of the Radeon ProRender API. We will give ...

Comment

This renwed interest in Ray tracing comes too late , neural networks can already be used for ilumination , and soon enough will be capable of reliably hallucinating high quality video in real time
      Last edited by GunpowaderGuy; 07 May 2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        2018 appears to be the year of ray-tracing
        We're almost halfway into the year, and absolutely nothing happened except for some talking. Even if some mind blowing ray tracing stuff gets released today, it still needs time to actually get to people, and it still requires most people to purchase hardware that is impossible to purchase. 2018 is definitely not the year of ray-tracing. Maybe the year of talking about ray-tracing.

Comment

Yeah Nvidia the saviour of opensource.... Too bad AMD has already provided an opensource solution....

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            Too bad AMD has already provided an opensource solution....
            One that is based on OpenCL and therefore not usable for games. Or did I miss something here?

I think Nvidia just want to wire up their RTX stuff which they are already using as a DXR backend to Vulkan. Nothing wrong with that, although I have my doubts that anybody is actually going to use it any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
              One that is based on OpenCL and therefore not usable for games. Or did I miss something here?
              What exactly makes games unable to use OpenCL?

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
                What exactly makes games unable to use OpenCL?
                1. There's no Vulkan<->OpenCL interop.
                2. Drivers (especially on AMD) are all over the place.
                3. I think OpenGL<->OpenCL interop is pretty inefficient.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  Yeah Nvidia the saviour of opensource.... Too bad AMD has already provided an opensource solution....
                  PowerVr has an open source solution for ray-tracing with vulkan there is a demo of it running on Ubuntu with Unreal engine 4 . Looks like the little guy beat both Nvidia and Amd the tech demo on youtube is from may 2017.

Too bad they don't make desktop gpu's with the crazy market price the competition would be good. PowerVr was in the Sega dreamcast console.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
                    Too bad they don't make desktop gpu's with the crazy market price the competition would be good. PowerVr was in the Sega dreamcast console.
                    They also did cards for PCs with KYRO and KYRO II, but ultimately failed to keep up. Good times

Comment

Working...
                    X