Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Yeah, It is not DAL3 but DC

Problem with AMD is that user have no idea about anything... they don't wrote proper changelogs, never announced timeframe like this when driver would be dropped, etc... user before something happens don't even know if Intel-G is really Vega or that "Vega" might be Polaris instead

Intel's Kaby Lake-G mystery: Why Radeon Vega M may be more Polaris than Vega
    Vega at this point is just a buzz word. It sounds cooler than RX 580. Not like Nvidia and Intel are better at naming their products.

Comment

It is not just Vega, that is a problem with AMD marketing team as user might be easely confused what he just bought because that could be entirely something else than what marketing says

Comment

I like how PC World can't get off their own asses and purchase a licensed copy of AIDA64.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          I'm not sure if that counts considering Nvidia contributes very little to Nouveau and Nouveau isn't anywhere near a 1:1 or even a 10:1 replacement for the nvidia blob. Nvidia really needs to do a open source driver like AMD.
          No, I was referring to ATI/AMD moving RadeonHD 2000 - 4000 to the open source driver.

Originally posted by dungeon
          Yeah, It is not DAL3 but DC
          Huh? That makes no sense in response to my post. I'm talking about RadeonHD 4000 and earlier being dropped from Catalyst/fglrx while there were still RadeonHD 4000-based laptops on the shelves. What does that have to do with DAL3/DC?
          As usual, your post is a combination of incomprehensible gibberish and smilies. Please don't respond to me. I wish this forum's block list would work.

Comment

I saw this coming when they skipped supporting vulkan on fermi.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              No, I was referring to ATI/AMD moving RadeonHD 2000 - 4000 to the open source driver.
              That is wrong again, nothing was moving anywhere as both drivers already existed In blob one support is dropped, in opensource one it isn't.

DAL2 for example is nowhere in radeon opensource driver. So, If we know that display part was not moved and GL part was not moved, then what is moved? It seems nothing much, isn't it.

Blob driver serve one customers, opensource driver serve other customers. That is the same today, only that was not clear who is who there as before and it is not today

That said, these who choosed to use FGLRX have all right to claim how their support was indeed dropped
              Last edited by dungeon; 07 April 2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

That's reasonable. Unlike AMD who dropped Terascale support while Terascale GPUs were still actively being manufactured and sold.
                Not really. If you are a professional user implementing vision system hardware for example, six years is nothing.

As for AMD at least we have an open solution.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  I also noticed that at the same time they are dropping 32 bit driver support for all cards with the exception of providing critical security updates through April 2019. So 32-bit Linux users will have to revert to Nouveau at some point or switch to a 64-bit install if they can. Seems older 32 bit PC's that are still functional are getting frozen out.

Currently I have a GT 730 and using Nouveau...so far this card works fine with Nouveau as I don't have the cash to upgrade it yet.
                  question is why is anyone running a newer than 6 year old graphics card on main hardware that is older than 12 years?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    That is wrong again, nothing was moving anywhere as both drivers already existed. In blob one support is dropped, in opensource one it isn't.
                    Just because the open source driver existed, it doesn't mean it was ready for general use...

That said, these who chose to use FGLRX have all right to claim how their support was indeed dropped
                    No, they don't. They could continue to use fglrx with an older distro (like Ubuntu 12.04.1) if they really needed it for certain apps/games.

Comment

Isn't Nouveau in good shape for 400/500 series cards? with proper firmware access and reclocking?

Comment

Working...
                      X