Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altkey
    replied
    I have a GTX 480 laying around. Would it be worth donating it to some Nouveau driver developer?

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Dropping is nice word that everybody understands and is familiar with, it means that some support is dropped - do you want to change even that word or something?
    No. If you say -
    AMD dropped support for my card - that's FALSE
    AMD dropped future proprietary driver support for my card - that's TRUE

You are one of the last people on Earth that should be arguing about English semantics.

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

question is why is anyone running a newer than 6 year old graphics card on main hardware that is older than 12 years?
    Actually my hardware is 64 bit :-)

I have only one 32 bit system left (an old laptop that I use as a netbook), so yes 32 bit drivers are starting to get dropped so the handwriting is now on the wall for 32 bit systems.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    No, they don't. They could continue to use fglrx with an older distro (like Ubuntu 12.04.1) if they really needed it for certain apps/games.
    Dropping is nice word that everbody understand and is familiar with, it means that some support is dropped - do you want to change even that word or something? Now of course one can do something about it, but it is still clear dropping
    Last edited by dungeon; 08 April 2018, 08:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    Isn't Nouveau in good shape for 400/500 series cards? with proper firmware access and reclocking?
    No. Nouveau generates firmware that works apart from video decoding and if you need decoding then you can take it from Nvidia's driver but it's missing reclocking and those cards boot often to their lowest power state so they are really slow. I have a GTX 460 1 GB and that boots to 50/100 MHz (core/memory) clocks. Funny enough that's just barely enough for 1920×1080 (or 1920×1200 that I now have) picture – I sometimes notice this noise on my display if I use nouveau. Games that I've tested (not that many) seem to work, but the speed is very poor.

If Nvidia provided the information to make these cards reclock properly then I wouldn't mind them dropping this support. That bothers me the most when using nouveau. The next worst thing might be that Gnome Shell on nouveau is still quite crashy but that's just nouveau not being suited for multiple OpenGL contexts or something like that and it can be improved without Nvidia's support.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Isn't Nouveau in good shape for 400/500 series cards? with proper firmware access and reclocking?

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    That is wrong again, nothing was moving anywhere as both drivers already existed. In blob one support is dropped, in opensource one it isn't.
    Just because the open source driver existed, it doesn't mean it was ready for general use...

That said, these who chose to use FGLRX have all right to claim how their support was indeed dropped
    No, they don't. They could continue to use fglrx with an older distro (like Ubuntu 12.04.1) if they really needed it for certain apps/games.

Leave a comment:

• SpyroRyder
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    I also noticed that at the same time they are dropping 32 bit driver support for all cards with the exception of providing critical security updates through April 2019. So 32-bit Linux users will have to revert to Nouveau at some point or switch to a 64-bit install if they can. Seems older 32 bit PC's that are still functional are getting frozen out.

Currently I have a GT 730 and using Nouveau...so far this card works fine with Nouveau as I don't have the cash to upgrade it yet.
    question is why is anyone running a newer than 6 year old graphics card on main hardware that is older than 12 years?

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post

That's reasonable. Unlike AMD who dropped Terascale support while Terascale GPUs were still actively being manufactured and sold.
    Not really. If you are a professional user implementing vision system hardware for example, six years is nothing.

As for AMD at least we have an open solution.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    No, I was referring to ATI/AMD moving RadeonHD 2000 - 4000 to the open source driver.
    That is wrong again, nothing was moving anywhere as both drivers already existed In blob one support is dropped, in opensource one it isn't.

DAL2 for example is nowhere in radeon opensource driver. So, If we know that display part was not moved and GL part was not moved, then what is moved? It seems nothing much, isn't it.

Blob driver serve one customers, opensource driver serve other customers. That is the same today, only that was not clear who is who there as before and it is not today

That said, these who choosed to use FGLRX have all right to claim how their support was indeed dropped
    Last edited by dungeon; 07 April 2018, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X