NVIDIA 390.25 Linux Driver Released With GTX 1060 5GB & Quadro P620 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    No, most parts of the developing world have government-subsidized electricity, which is often unreliable due to operating at costs where it's uneconomical to scale production further.
    Source, or are you just living in an American propaganda bubble?

Also, a note, the person you're quoting didn't say 'developing world', you added that bit in your counterpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
      They will drop low when the crypto market crashes, as it does occasionally. I still have a whole stack of 280x cards I couldn't get rid of when the market tanked the last time (2014/15 or so).
      Back then it was Bitcoin that transitioned to ASIC mining iirc. Currently there are at least 2-3 different cryptocurrencies running at decent levels and more on the sidelines. There is no widespread "crash" as there is no single currency.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
        I don't think you understand how this works.
        When new cards come out, old ones become unprofitable, they start generating net loss. You basically have to get rid of them somehow. There's plenty of customers though - could be gamers, then 3rd world, then cheap supercomputers, then public sector, then charities....
        I don't think you understand how the world works. Energy prices are not the same everywhere, there is a substantial amount of people just blowing money out of the window because they are stupid (gold rushes should provide plenty of evidence for that), and there are also people that use mining rigs as electric heating anyway so even if technically unprofitable they are still fine with that (as they would be paying for heating anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
          Source, or are you just living in an American propaganda bubble?
          Afaik for big EU countries it's like that. Energy production is subsidized. Apart from the obvious case of France with nuclear, you can see here Germany with coal/oil/gas. https://www.odi.org/sites/odi.org.uk...files/9954.pdf

I don't think this translates to being unreliable, but I'm unsure of what he meant.

Comment

How to install on Ubuntu 16.04? I got a black screen, something about missing libglvnd and had to nvidia-uninstall

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Supercomputers are very sensitive to electricity costs. Old ones don't tend stick around for very long, since their perf/W is so much worse than newer ones that you can't justify the operational costs.

And you wouldn't use old, unreliable GPUs for it, either. Anyone running jobs on a supercomputers doesn't want their data to be crap because of memory errors on some burnt out mining card, the probability of which rises greatly as you increase the number of GPUs.
              Yeah, I know, usually electricity costs would be the major part of your expenses with supercomputers. But then again, the one running at the local faculty for mechanical engineering must be like 10 years old at least. Don't know about burnt out cards, some might work well, some might not, who knows, maybe if the used hardware market is established, things like this might become a reality - the trader in the middle might be able to separate reliable card from unreliable ones. I know there's issues like this but we can only wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                I don't think you understand how the world works. Energy prices are not the same everywhere, there is a substantial amount of people just blowing money out of the window because they are stupid (gold rushes should provide plenty of evidence for that), and there are also people that use mining rigs as electric heating anyway so even if technically unprofitable they are still fine with that (as they would be paying for heating anyway).
                Substantial amount is not enough to inflate used hardware prices lol.
                As for the crypto-mining-heating thing - I really hope this becomes a reality. And I still think it won't be enough to inflate used hardware prices.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post

Used GPUs are going to become peanuts cheap, you'll be able to have resellers selling this cards they bought for peanuts to the third world just like clothes present day. We might get many new gamers, we'd just have to convince the devs to actually stop forcing people to waste billions on hardware in order for their game to run.
                  I don't know about buying GPUs that were used for a year or 2 for mining 24/7. The silicon will degrade.

Comment

I can guarantee I don't understand how the worlds energy markets work, but I'd still bet the whole pot those machines generate less currency than they consume. They'll never even recover the hardware's own costs let alone it's energy consumption.

Comment

there are also people that use mining rigs as electric heating anyway so even if technically unprofitable they are still fine with that (as they would be paying for heating anyway).
                      This has already been commercialized:

HPC, cloud computing (PAAS, SAAS & IAAS) & Infrastructure IT : chez Qarnot nous conjuguons performance, sécurité, empreinte carbone et souveraineté

Update: Qarnot has updated their page with AMD Ryzen 7 support for its 3 computing units, so it's not limited to Intel offerings. You can see the before and after screenshots on the bottom of this article. In a move that is sure to bring the cozy, homely warm feeling back towards the space heater...

Comment

Working...
                      X