No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 390.25 Linux Driver Released With GTX 1060 5GB & Quadro P620 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang, I really lucked out buying this Rx 480 card brand new from New Egg for $149 about a year ago. Prices have really gone up!!

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
      Generally speaking that doesn't happen unless those people are stupid or have free electricity (rare). People sell old cards because it costs more in electricity to mine than the profit (in other words: you could just buy the coins on an exchange for cheaper than mining them).
      profit depends from the cryptocurrency mined, and yeah there are quite a bit of plain stupid miners or those that can steal electricity (or have someone else pay, like for example their parents).

While this isn't going to gobble up all GPUs again, I think it should still prevent their price (when used) from falling too low as the other guy was speculating.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        profit depends from the cryptocurrency mined, and yeah there are quite a bit of plain stupid miners or those that can steal electricity (or have someone else pay, like for example their parents).

While this isn't going to gobble up all GPUs again, I think it should still prevent their price (when used) from falling too low as the other guy was speculating.
        They will drop low when the crypto market crashes, as it does occasionally. I still have a whole stack of 280x cards I couldn't get rid of when the market tanked the last time (2014/15 or so). It was around that time that I stopped bothering with mining and started pure trading. MUCH more profitable and less hassle (well, at least until your exchange gets hacked and you lose your coins, ha).

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post

Generally speaking that doesn't happen unless those people are stupid or have free electricity (rare). People sell old cards because it costs more in electricity to mine than the profit (in other words: you could just buy the coins on an exchange for cheaper than mining them).
          There are parts of the world, like certain areas in China, where hydroelectric power is dirt cheap because they produce so much of it and they have such big mining farms that they actually rent out miners in the way that companies lease processing power to those that want to rent something like an Amazon EC2 instance. They will probably be scooping up everything available in the used video card market.

Comment

I could use about 3000 watt of mining income for heating my house.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Unless the used cards are bought by other (poorer) miners, that is.
              I don't think you understand how this works.
              When new cards come out, old ones become unprofitable, they start generating net loss. You basically have to get rid of them somehow. There's plenty of customers though - could be gamers, then 3rd world, then cheap supercomputers, then public sector, then charities....

Comment

When will it be available in the current releases?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  I suppose Nvidia Xorg performance would still be atrocious, even if it somehow reported back DRI3.
                  Yeah, and lets not forget the decade old multimonitor bugs.

EDIT: I think it works ok for single monitors (besides feeling laggy), but if you intend to game on a multimonitor setup it's glitchy as hell. The screens flicker when moving the mouse between them, crtl-alt-f* makes the monitor go into low power with an amber light (yes). Those are my biggest gripes.
                  Last edited by duby229; 29 January 2018, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
                    cheap supercomputers
                    Supercomputers are very sensitive to electricity costs. Old ones don't tend stick around for very long, since their perf/W is so much worse than newer ones that you can't justify the operational costs.

And you wouldn't use old, unreliable GPUs for it, either. Anyone running jobs on a supercomputers doesn't want their data to be crap because of memory errors on some burnt out mining card, the probability of which rises greatly as you increase the number of GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                      In fact, most parts of the world have cheaper electricity since they don't have government mandated utility rackets like in the USA, where your city council determines rates rather than free-market economics.
                      No, most parts of the developing world have government-subsidized electricity, which is often unreliable due to operating at costs where it's uneconomical to scale production further.

Comment

Working...
                      X