NVIDIA 390.25 Linux Driver Released With GTX 1060 5GB & Quadro P620 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 390.25 Linux Driver Released With GTX 1060 5GB & Quadro P620 Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA 390.25 Linux Driver Released With GTX 1060 5GB & Quadro P620 Support

After rolling out the 390.12 beta Linux driver in early January as the first public driver in the 390 series, NVIDIA is ending January by the first 390 stable release: 390.25...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome, too bad that no one is going to use them because they can't afford to buy either one of those cards. Part of me thinks pc gaming and gpu assisted encoding/filtering/rendering are about to go the way of the Dodo, thanks to the whole cryptomining craze, which I don't see ending anytime soon considering Australia, Bulgaria, Chile, Estonia, Italy, Japan, Poland, have all either officially or unofficially declared crypto-currencies legal tender, and places like Russia set to legalize it as legal tender in 2018 and places like South Korea where it can be used as a form of payment though not technically legal tender, I think the days of people gaming on their pc's is rapidly coming to an end.

I for one am glad, pc gaming, with all the restrictive DRM and in game purchase and all the other crap has been going downhill for years, let it die already.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
      Awesome, too bad that no one is going to use them because they can't afford to buy either one of those cards.
      There are places to buy graphics cards for higher but still reasonable prices.

Nvidia is selling cards directly online, one per customer.

I recently got sent an advertisement for an AMD Vega Frontier edition for the original price. Some may consider that over-priced to start with, but it isn't inflated by crypto mining.

Microcenter is offering a system builder discount on graphics cards. They set the list price to double suggested retail. Then they'll provide a discount if you buy a CPU, motherboard, RAM in the same purchase. Doesn't help with upgrades, but does make it possible to build a new box with a new GPU.

Comment

Awesome, too bad that no one is going to use them because they can't afford to buy either one of those cards. Part of me thinks pc gaming and gpu assisted encoding/filtering/rendering are about to go the way of the Dodo, thanks to the whole cryptomining craze, which I don't see ending anytime soon considering Australia, Bulgaria, Chile, Estonia, Italy, Japan, Poland, have all either officially or unofficially declared crypto-currencies legal tender, and places like Russia set to legalize it as legal tender in 2018 and places like South Korea where it can be used as a form of payment though not technically legal tender, I think the days of people gaming on their pc's is rapidly coming to an end.

I for one am glad, pc gaming, with all the restrictive DRM and in game purchase and all the other crap has been going downhill for years, let it die already.
        Used GPUs are going to become peanuts cheap, you'll be able to have resellers selling this cards they bought for peanuts to the third world just like clothes present day. We might get many new gamers, we'd just have to convince the devs to actually stop forcing people to waste billions on hardware in order for their game to run.

Comment

I suppose there is still no DRI3 support, no fbdev (for native resolution bootsplash) support and they are still using EGLStreams for Wayland support, so it still sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
            Nvidia is selling cards directly online, one per customer.
            Not that helpful if you aren't in the US. Shipping to the other side of the planet, uncertain RMA option, infinite waiting, no law enforcement if something goes wrong, etc.

Comment

Australia, Bulgaria, Chile, Estonia, Italy, Japan, Poland, have all either officially or unofficially declared crypto-currencies legal tender,
              Wait, how can you declare something is "legal tender" unofficially? It either is official or it is not.

Most nations still don't have any law on cryptocurrencies, but this does not stop people from using them, just as people can still barter if they feel like it.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
                Used GPUs are going to become peanuts cheap
                Unless the used cards are bought by other (poorer) miners, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post
                  I suppose there is still no DRI3 support
                  I suppose Nvidia Xorg performance would still be atrocious, even if it somehow reported back DRI3.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Unless the used cards are bought by other (poorer) miners, that is.
                    Generally speaking that doesn't happen unless those people are stupid or have free electricity (rare). People sell old cards because it costs more in electricity to mine than the profit (in other words: you could just buy the coins on an exchange for cheaper than mining them).

Comment

Working...
                    X