The NVIDIA 390 Driver Is Playing Nicely With Linux 4.15 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    This is good news since I move to a 1080Ti Mini card in my system next week, probably the right decision too since Navi is now a 2019 product.
    I would argue that buying 1080Ti is almost never right decision because it has barely any better cooler than blower design from Nvidia and almost zero overclocking potential. Unless you plan to use custom waterblock, it doesn't fit otherwise or you got it on some kind of amazing sale. Being few bucks cheaper than next competitor variant with beefy cooler just isn't worth it (this is kinda like MSI Armor series which is universally hated for same reason).

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      Think it was meant to be fixed in previous version, which might be why its not mentioned this time around.
      Not really, the prevoius version was 387.34 from 11/27/2017, followed by the beta 390.12.
      And 387.34 has no fix for memory allocation bug.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
        Not really, the previous version was 387.34 from 11/27/2017, followed by the beta 390.12.
        And 387.34 has no fix for memory allocation bug.
        I just upgraded from 387.34 to 390.12 and for example Shadow of Mordor do use a bit less gpu memory now.
        According to
        Code:
        nvidia-settings -t -q UsedDedicatedGPUMemory
        used gpu memory went from 1223/2048 MB to 1133/2048 MB.
        Sorry I didn't test with HD-textures or a fully modded Skyrim.
        Not bad for workaround.
        Last edited by a7v-user; 14 April 2018, 04:59 AM.

Comment

When you/someone says, 'it's playing nicely with Linux 4.15 Kernel' (in Ubuntu?), I am guessing that isn't applicable to using Wayland (for e..g, Ubuntu w/ Wayland)?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            When you/someone says, 'it's playing nicely with Linux 4.15 Kernel' (in Ubuntu?), I am guessing that isn't applicable to using Wayland (for e..g, Ubuntu w/ Wayland)?
            I just wasted a couple hours going down this rabbit hole and I'm saying no; In my experience it doesn't. Only working configuration for me is 4.13.1 with nvidia-384 on Ubuntu 17.10. However I'm unsure I have the same kernel config M used in the article, I'm not convinced this would make a difference on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by a7v-user View Post

I just upgraded from 387.34 to 190.12 ...
              DVP layout user detected.

Comment

Well in Ubuntu 18.04 prime sync breaks on 4.15 so many will be disappointed. Ubuntu could fix but likely won't

Comment

Working...
                X