Mir 1.0 Is Pulled Back, Now It's Mir 0.28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    For Canonical it is still alive for their embedded market (unknown), for other projects like MATE can be useful as a wayland compositor.
    There are a zillion ways to have a Wayland compositor and those are far more mature than Mir....

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      There are a zillion ways to have a Wayland compositor and those are far more mature than Mir....
      I quite frankly don't know. I assume that MATE developers (that did show some interest in Mir) know better than me in what is their own project.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        I quite frankly don't know. I assume that MATE developers (that did show some interest in Mir) know better than me in what is their own project.
        MATE developers are part of Linux Mint project. They get Ubuntu upstream and apply their "secret sauce". Despite of that, I tolerate Linux Mint a lot more than Ubuntu.

I consider Ubuntu to be an extremely overrated distro, really. It's a shame they are mostly vampires from Debian project, a project that deserves a lot more recognition than Ubuntu and most Linux distros in the planet because their pro-FOSS policies and dedication. Anyway, I feel weird at Debian because I got too used to bleeding edge and want things like the last stuff of certain software (web browsers like Firefox, mpv+ffmpeg from Git, mesa and Intel drivers from Git and drm-tip kernel branch, etc), despite there's backports and the unstable branch of Debian.

I use Archlinux and a previous Gentoo user. I might reconsiderate Gentoo again when I can afford a powerful workstation. I know it's crazy to compile everything, but there's some kind of magic doing it and customize by using USE flags.

Exherbo seems interesting, but last time I seen many packages were outdated in comparison to Gentoo and Archlinux. I might reconsider it after getting the workstation of my dreams and finally learn computer programming properly, instead hacking other's work without knowing what to do (applying patches, modifying scripts and asking a lot to developers... I'm still dealing with hardware issues, probably due to a crappy ACPI in this laptop).

Comment

Working...
        X